leakingconvertible roof

xxshazzaxx

Nov 23, 2010
hi
i bought a volkswagen eos in july 2010 from a dealer it is just over 3 years old and only just out of warranty... after having a diognostics test at an approved volkswagen garage they have told me it has a serious leak (its a convertible) and the extended warranty that we have doesnt cover leaks?? they have quoted me £1500 to get it repaired im gutted to say the least...i have had contact with the dealer who said at the time of sale the roof had no leak..
any help and advice would be welcome..

spookiexch

Nov 23, 2010
I have been through some of these issues while looking into my head gasket issues, as posted on this forum.

I believe from what I have read that if a car develops a fault within the first six months, legally the onus is on the dealer to prove that it wasn't a problem when he sold you the car - rather than you proving that it was. If this should come to court.

As the timescale is six months, you need to get something in writing off to the dealer, with the fault report from the authorised garage, and formally ask for a repair. Explain that under the sale of good act it is his responsability to repair, or refund. Consumer Direct has good template letters to get you started.

If/When he writes back and refuses this, you then have some options under the sale of good act.

One is to get it repaired, then take him to SCC for the cost of the repair.
Second, and more complicated, is to reject the vehicle and ask for a refund.

Don't be deceived by warranties/excuses. You have statutory rights under SOGA and the dealer cannot get out of these - provided the leak was genuinely there when you bought the car, and he didn't tell you it was there.

nmonline

Oct 24, 2010
Hi, just out of curiosity, was the diagnostic check for the leak, or something else? Were you aware of it yourself?