Faulty TV

M

Matt19849

I purchased a TV back in March which has become faulty, I reported the fault straight away as it was still under the years warranty.

They sent someone out to look at the problem this person told me to try it again and if the fault is still there the TV would have to go back for repair. The fault was still there so I rang again and told them the situation and they told me there send out another engineer to have another look. He arrived and stayed for about 5 minutes and just told me they need to order a part it shouldn't need to go away for repair and walked off without even saying bye. I waited about a week and heard nothing so wrote a letter to head office about the service. Instantly they sent someone back out with the part, replaced the part and the problem was still there.

I phoned them back again and sat on the phone for over an hour explaining everything that had happened as there system had no notes at all about the problems, mean while this wasn't a cheap phone number to ring.
In the end they said they would pick it up for repair, after arranging it to be picked up the driver was supposed to call me half hour before turning up to give me a chance to pop home and meet him - which he didn't so I missed the pick up.
Again I phoned the up and told them its been a month with the same fault 3 people have come out and one driver failed to ring me etc etc and I'm getting no where.

I rang back again about 10mins later and spoke to someone else who said its been over 28days so we can replace it but I would need to phone the online sales team. I phone the online sales team and they refused to help me unless I had a reference number which I didn't. I hung up and phoned back and got someone else who was happy to help me with just my postcode. They then said I need a reference number from the Tech guys saying they have authorised it to be replaced. I phone the techguys back they said I don't need a reference number and they have nothing to give me, phoned the online people back and finally got them to agree to get it replaced.

The next day I got a phone call from head office saying we can't replace the TV because the tech guys won't authorise it.
I rang the Online after sales again and they said no we've authorised it to be replaced regardless of the tech guys.
Now apparently the TV is being picked up by the tech guys for repair and while its in for repair head office will issue a replacement.

I asked them for a refund because I had, had enough and they told me they couldnt give me a refund until the TV had gone for repair.

All this time I have managed to get a phone bill over £50 from calling them countless times.
I'm not sure where I stand with this and I want it replaced or refunded and compensation for all the hassle and inconvenience of having to take days of work for engineers to keep coming out and having to spend my lunches on the phone to them, does anyone know of any sales goods act points I could chuck at them or anything? As I bought it online they wont let me take it to the store to be replaced either.

And im sure you can guess there part of the DSGi Group.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
This is the relevant section from this post: Entitlements for a breach of my statutory rights | Consumer Information

Due to the emphasis on proportionality and reasonableness in this legislation, in most cases you must give the seller reasonable time to repair or replace before demanding your money back and you should be aware that the refund given may well take account of any use you have had of the goods since you took possession of them.
The specific section if you want to quote it is Section 48: Sale of Goods Act 1979 (c. 54) in particular:

(2)If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—

(a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;

(b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

Last edited:

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Wow. That is stunningly bad service. Hopefully the info from Tony will help you sort it out - I don't think anyone could think you were being unreasonable for wanting a refund after all this hassle.