changing mind /cooling off period with a new car

Kathleen6

Nov 29, 2010
Today I went to buy a new car and was persuaded to sign for one with very heavy sales techniques . I had no deposit but signed . am i legally liable as I wanted more time to look round at other options the car dealer was a very good saleman.The fact i paid no deposit does it make it binding. Can I cancel

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
You paid no deposit - doesn't really matter in the eyes of a court,
The fact that you signed the contract is enough,

but as you say you were under pressure, if you were to take the legal route (providing the company decides to continue the contract and not cancel it) you could claim for breach of contract as you were put under undue influence (pressure) [you must somehow prove this though] ,

claiming for breach of contract - you aim for recission and this can be done by the court hearing [bear in mind we are talking about civil cases not criminal, so much less formal]

Chances of getting to court are quite slim, you must take all the neccesary actions before a court will even accept the case - you must contact the company by letter/phone [must photocopy / record this]
If they do not reply, you can get a solicitor to contact the company
If they still do not reply / deny anything, and you know and can prove in some way, that they are at fault,
you may be able to go to court, although the courts will likely push you down the ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) route, where you will liekly go to arbitration.
In arbitration an independent, impartial third party hears both sides in a dispute and makes a decision to resolve it. In most cases the arbitrator's decision is legally binding on both sides, so it is not possible to go to court if you are unhappy with the decision.

Saying all this, hopefully a letter to the manager/top dog at the company will be enough to get the contract cancelled.

Hope this is of any use to you.
Adam

sallymoorcroft

Jan 8, 2012
Re: cooling off period

Hi,
I booked a holiday cottage in Cornwall 2 days ago for 1 week in July, and have now been told there is a family wedding that week. I have paid £270 and the company's website say I am liable for the full amount even if we don't go. I have not signed anything and paid over the phone.
Do I have a cooling off period at it was only 2 days ago and what are my rights over whether I have to pay the full amount.
Thanks
Sally