Emma

EJB2010

Dec 2, 2010
Hello,

I wondered if anyone could give me some advice please? Basically I bought two ceiling lights from Homebase in March 2008 - I still have the reciept. The lights each cost £99 so I consider them to be a fairly expensive purchase and expected them to last for a good few years. The light fitting consists of approx. 30 chrome spheres which are suspended from threads, with the bulbs in the middle. We loved the lights as they were a bit different and we had one in the hall and one on the landing. Over the last few months we have noticed that many of the chrome spheres have discoloured and are now transparent in places, completely ruining the classy effect of the lights. This problem has occurred on both fittings. I have been into Homebase and they are not interested as the items were bought a while ago. They suggested that I had used air freshener or the wrong bulbs to cause this damage but neither of these scenarios is possible - we are using the same bulbs which were supplied with the lights. Homebase doesn't sell these lights anymore. I emailed Homebase customer services but they never responded. Eventually, after ten days, I called them and was told there was no record of my email and I was given the contact details of the manufacturer. The manufacturer has been helpful and even sent out some spare spheres to me but I have noticed that some of them are perfect and some are also discoloured - possibly ones which had been returned before??
To summarise, I can't afford to spend another £200 on light fittings to replace those which I had hoped would last for several years. Should I push it with Homebase?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Emma

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
TheRes no harm in trying..

Best bet is send a letter to the head office of homebase.
Preferably address it to the executive or someone relatively high within the business (can usually find out who if you just google 'homebase head office' or something like that)

Tell them the story, mention how much an expense these were to you.
Likely response: sorry, here's a voucher for a new one.