Online Grocery Shopping... Some Thoughts

laura1988

Dec 7, 2010
Glasgow
Hello,

I am a marketing student at the University of Strathclyde in Scotland and I am currently carrying out research for my dissertation on the motivations behind online grocery shopping and would really appreciate some help.

With this research, I am interested in finding out the advantages and disadvantages of online grocery shopping according to consumers, and the motivations behind starting up online grocery shopping (for those who have tried it out).

I would really appreciate it if you could post your thoughts on online grocery shopping - general thoughts, perceived advantages and disadvantages, reasons to start/continue/stop on-line grocery shopping. I will use the findings from this forum to construct a questionnaire which will be posted online in the next month.

I do ask however that any responses must be made by consumers between the ages of 18 and 65 and I can assure that any views will remain anonymous.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sarah2312

Nov 5, 2010
We use Tesco's online grocery shopping. They are generally very good. Just little things can be irritating, such as where to stack the crates when they leave them with you so that you can unpack? Sometimes they'll leave the crates with you for a week - not helpful. For big shopping sprees, it's a godsend though - it means that you can take advantage of all the BOGOF discounts and bulk buying without having to worry about transporting everything home.

Jostar

Sep 20, 2010
www.postgoldforcash.com
When i was a student i would online shop purely because i didn't have a car so it was a way of transporting all the goods to my house hassle free. I like the idea of online shopping but i do prefer going to the shop myself to pick which veg i want etc and also to check out the reduced aisle - both which you can not do online. I would say the reason to continue online shopping would be because you can compare prices and put everything in one basket, then choose which supermarket to buy from (i can't remember the name of this site, someone mentioned it the other day.) The reason to stop would be if the supermarket bought you old goods, bruised fruit, skanky veg etc. I hope that helps :)

laura1988

Dec 7, 2010
Glasgow
Hi there,

I have constructed a questionnaire based on the views I collected from several consumer forums like this one, and I would appreciate it if you could spare 5 minutes to fill it in for my dissertation research. The link can be found below.

surveygizmo.com/s3/438744/OGS

Thank you so much in advance,
Laura. x

Miasmum

Feb 9, 2011
Reason tried: Fed up trying to find a child free car parking space on a Saturday and avoiding the long queue at checkout.

Advantages: Really quick (apart from the first time). Don't wander around putting things in the trolley that I don't really want, therefore saves money

Disadvantages. If item out of stock they rarely give like for like. Lots of fresh food is very near to sell by/use by date.

AndrewHG123

Mar 4, 2011
Reason: I have better things to do than shop for standard groceries each week
Advantages: Where else can you drink tea when you shop?
Disadvantages:Some are good some are poor, they switch about depending on the quality of the store picker