Faulty LG Plasma - Tech guys want 8 weeks to repair!

TheTone79

Dec 8, 2010
Hello, long time forum reader, first time poster.

Situation:
I bought a 50inch LG plasma TV from dixons in November 2008 and it developed a fault in October 2010 (vertical lines down the screen). I did not buy any extended warranty for this product. However, I had read about the Sales of good act (on this website) and realised the law was on my side in terms of dixons responsibility in repairing the TV.

I phoned them up and explained the issue and they said they would happily take the TV for inspection (at £60 cost to me, refundable if the fault was found). I agreed to this as the fault is there all the time!

They picked the television up only a few days after the call (11th November). I had taken pictures of the fault and printed out A4 copies of them and taped them to thte screen with an explanation also. The guy picking it up said it would take approx 3 weeks, 4 max for the repair to be completed (I didnt mind this).

Tomorrow is 4 weeks since they picked it up and i have heard nothing. So i phoned the Tech guys support line and they looked up my TV's status. It was logged onto their system on the 17th November (so it took them 6 days to log it on their system). The TV was at the test facility and had not yet been looked at. So 4 weeks and they have not even looked at it. She then explained it would probably take 8 weeks for the test to be completed.

The reason i posted here was to ask your advice really as i dont think this is a reasonable amount of time to carry out the test, let alone any repairs! My worst nightmare is they claim there is no fault and send it back, then we have to go round the loop again possibly being months and months before i get my TV back in working order.

Any help would be good as i dont have another TV and the prospect of having no TV over christmas is not good. My family have been good about not having one this long but another 4 weeks could be pushing it! :(

Thanks for reading my post
Tony

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
here is a little brief summary from the sales of goods act with regards to replacing/repairing goods:

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace the goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'. If the seller doesn't do this, you are entitled to claim either:

* reduction on the purchase price, or
* your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called 'recision').

If the retailer refuses to repair the goods, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair it, and then claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.

You have six years to make a claim for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland; in Scotland you have five years.

---
As you have said, you have had the tv for 19 months, and as it was 50" im guessing its was around £700 - being plasma its a little cheaper than LCD,
As goods should be compliant with section 14 of the Sale of Goods act which states:
"Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality."

the courts decide what satisfactory quality is depending on the price, the product, the buyer's thought of 'satisfactory' quality.
Im guessing as it would have been around £700 , you would expect it to last at least 3 years or so - don't quote me on that though, im no judge lol.
And so the tv would not be of satisfactory quality,

My advise, as you would need a quick result, send a letter to the highest person you can find at Dixons HQ - photocopy it, and send it 'signed for'.
Explain the situation , ntoify the person that you know your rights and that the repair would cause inconvenience and is not within reasonable time due to the christmas period coming up. and also state that you would be willing to take legal proceedings if it does not get sorted out (only say this if you actually are willing to do this) .
In the meantime - although this doesn't sound like very 'decent' advice, pester them, keep on contacting them, phone them every day, every 12 hours if neccessary to push your tv through. If you continue to pester them, the chances are they'll get on with it because they're fed up with your phonecalls... honest, it works. lol

Adam.

TheTone79

Dec 8, 2010
Hello Adam,

Many thanks for your advice :). I will write a letter to the HQ as you have said. However, i dont suppose you know any contact information in terms of personnel?

My TV was indeed £720 when purchased and i am perfectly happy to have the set repaired as it is a very good TV!

I will get to work on the letter!
thanks again
Tony

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
No probem at all, glad i came in use.
As for who to contact, id say just google for dixons hq, and see if you can find a name of a directive.. any one will do, as if it is not their section, they will pass on to the correct one (in theory) lol.

You can find template letters on this site, if thats any use.
good luck, and keep us updated with the result :)

Adam

TheTone79

Dec 8, 2010
UPDATE - 16.12.10

Well i sent a letter to what google told me was the Chief Exec at Dixons. Not sure if it did anything though!

I have phoned constantly over the last 3 weeks and been told my TV has not been looked at!!!

UPDATE - 30.12.10

It has been 7 weeks today and i got a phonecall yesterday to say my TV has been fixed and will be redelivered tomorrow. I await with baited breath to be honest. I expect the TV to be damaged cosmetically and probably have the same fault (i am pesimistic to say the least).

I will update tomorrow when i get it back.....hoorah.

TheTone79

Dec 8, 2010
Update:

My TV was returned and to my amazement and to Dixons credit it was actually a brand new screen (still had the new plastic film on the front and back sections).

No damage and in perfect order.

All i can say is although it took over 7 weeks i paid nothing and got my over 2 year old screen replaced.

Thanks
Tony

TheTone79

Dec 8, 2010
UH OH!

Disaster has struck, the same fault has appeared again!! only 3 weeks after taking deliver of the new TV.

I am gutted and am now wondering if i can actually ask for a new model as clearly something is wrong with the one i have!

Any advice appreciated. I phoned them and they said they would take away again possibly for 8 weeks. :mad:

TheTone79

Dec 8, 2010
Well i have gone through the same line of complaint again and this time they have simply said they wont repair the TV and have offered me a Final settlement fee. I bought the TV for £720 in Dec 2008 and they have offered me £400. I refused and said i couldnt get anything of similar spec for that money. They upped the fee to £450 and said thats the very best they can do. So reluctantly i have accepted.

They said i can keep the TV aswell, so hopefully sell as spares or repair and replace with another TV.