Hello All, I've been a victim of fraud on Amazon! Please help!

sadsack_uk

Dec 11, 2010
Hello

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. The issue I'm about to discuss is now with Visa Disputes and I've filed an investigation with Amazon. My worry is whether or not I'm going to get my money back.

On Monday, I was called by the Natwest Fraud Team regarding some transactions on my account that were trying to be made via Amazon. The bank managed to put a stop to them thankfully and cancelled my card. They assured me that that was the end of the matter but I may need to complete a declaration form that the transactions were fraudulent. No problem.

I've been away all week with work and came back late last night to check my account online. Four transactions made via Amazon, totalling over £750 had come out of my Natwest account. I got on the phone to Natwest this morning to report this and then to Amazon to find out what had been going on.

Natwest, no problem. They will pass the info on to the Visa Dispute Team and I'll speak to them Monday. When I spoke to Amazon things became very confusing.

I couldn't log in to my Amazon account and it showed that I hadn't made an order for about 5 years (I ordered three things last month but nothing since). Amazon could find no trace of my account over the phone until I gave them my old card number, that was cancelled on the Monday. The transactions were for various electrical items, like PS3's, Ipod's etc. Someone using a hotmail email address had taken over my account and ordered these items (and I assume all of the ones that the bank had previously cancelled) before my card had been cancelled last Monday, so I think these transactions slipped through the net.

The confusing thing for me is that the delivery address for these items is still to my address. Amazon say they have been despatched and there is nothing they can do. I'm over £700 down and don't want these items and I'm not confident that they will arrive at my address. Amazon told me to contact the merchants (which I've done, although Amazon were not very helpful at all with this). They seemed to think I could still see the transactions on my account without understanding I was unable to access it anymore.

So... my questions are:

1) If the goods dont turn up (which will be the strangest case of fraud ever if they do!) should Visa Debit refund this?

2) Has anyone ever heard of any kind of scam like this before? All I can think of is that there is no real seller, and no items, and the person that has used my account has made a transaction to a made up account that they are linked too. I have no idea how they have got into my Amazon account.

If you can make sense of this email, any help will be appreciated!!

Kind regards

Paul

sadsack_uk

Dec 11, 2010
Hello again

Just some further infor on this. I know how the fraudster has received the goods. I received a response from one of the sellers this evening with the below email:

Hi Paul
Sorry to hear this i received this message after they bought the PS3 ................

This is the message received which contains a different address which might help the police
hi there i have just checked the delivery address on my order and i forgot to change it to my nephews address , would it be possible for you to ship it to him as its his birthday present , i wouldnt ask normally but amazon has already taken the payment from my card , i hope you can help me . his address is

address...

all the best

I believe that the person who has used my account has hacked into my email account and used the same details to access Amazon... so I've learnt a lesson here for sure!! They have clearly used my Amazon account, made up a relative with my surname and had the items sent to a fake address.

Does this account to identity theft, as they have used my account to make the purchases in my name? The sellers have clearly sent the items to the alternative address given by the fraudster in good faith.

So, with this new information, do I stand any chance of getting my money back from Visa Debit?

Cheers!

Paul

Last edited:

Speedwell

Oct 6, 2012
I have been having difficulty with Amazon. I sold a very large heavy book for £350 - I am not a professional seller.
The buyer has received the book (although I don't know why he had it delivered to an empty address - there was a panic where he had to go and get the builders to let him in to retrieve the book).

I was supposed to be paid for this book by the 28th Sept (sent the book on the 12th Sept). No money has hit my bank account yet. The most frustrating thing is that Amazon is such a big beast, that every time I ring I speak to somebody in a different country.

According to the Payments division they have processed my payment and it left their server on the 23rd Sept. But when I drill down and ask more specific questions I do not get detailed replies.

They said it was a problem with my bank, but having been into a branch they told me that they could not trace something that had not arrived.

Has anybody else had a similar issue to deal with?