Right to reject used car?

A

Andyb123

Hello,

On 3rd October i purchased a used car.

At the weekend after covering 96 miles since ownership I have noticed a large oil leak on the sump that is now dripping on my drive.

I have contacted the motor trader who has offered to have it repaired by Ford.

The car is only 3 years old and has only covered 25k miles and has a full Ford Service History.

Do I have grounds to reject the car? The car was sold as perfect but isn't.

Many thanks

Andy

joanalyn

Banned
May 11, 2009
If there's a problem with a second hand car soon after you’ve bought it, for example, the car develops a problem you wouldn’t expect for the car’s age and mileage, or it turns out to be not what you’d been lead to expect, you may have the right to ‘reject’ the car and get your money back.

However, you have only a ‘reasonable’ time to reject a second hand car. There’s no clear definition of what a reasonable time is – you probably need to do it within three or four weeks of buying it. But if you reject a second hand car you must stop using it. And if the fault is very obvious you may have less time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
After six months, it would be difficult to prove that the fault has not developed in the time you have had it, regardless of the few miles you have driven. I would accept the repair. Oil leaks can have many causes and few of them mean something intrinsically wrong with the car. I don't think you have a case for a refund in this instance. Sorry - perhaps another forumee can be more positive!