Multi Car insurance - a bit confused!

White freesias

Dec 21, 2010
Hello,

I'm new to this site so i don't know if it's here that I should be posting my question...perhaps someone can tell me if it's not?

The reason for confusion is this. My husband and I have multicar insurance for 2 cars with Admiral. Each of us is a policyholder for one car, with the other as a named driver.

I had my first prang ever in 20 years (grrrr) while driving hubby's car. We decided to claim, since we were told the work would cost more than the excess. We've now been slapped with a renewal premium twice the cost of last year's premium. I have no intention of paying that much so am shopping around.

The problem I'm having is that I don't know how to declare the claim. Admiral have told me that whoever was driving the vehicle has to declare the claim, plus the policyholder. So it looks to me as if both of us are going to get clobbered for my bump, since I was driving the car at the time.

The 2 cars are both coming up for renewal at the same time (because of multicar thing), so I don't know if I declare a claim only for the vehicle that was pranged and not for my own car.

Plus I don't understand why I can no longer apply for protected NCB...I have this with Admiral but when I try to do this online I'm not allowed to, I suppose because of the bump. It seems as if I've paid for something that I'm not getting any benefit from, if I can't transfer this to another insurer.

I wouldn't care but when I looked into the total cost of the claim I found it was only £386.27!!! We thought it was going to be squillions of pounds, which is why we claimed rather than just paying it ourselves.

I know this must seem obvious to lots of people, but I've been getting more confused about it the more I think about it...