Failed Laptop

Heather1234

Jan 4, 2011
My mother's HP laptop has failed after 3 years - it will not power-up, or powers up for seconds and the goes dead. She has looked after it very carefully. She has spoken to Comet where it was purchased from and they have been little help and basically said there was nothing they could do and she would have to take them to court under the Sale of Goods act to prove anything. What can she do? She is 78 and not very technically minded and not really in a position to be chasing around independant electrical agents for an independant report. It seems that the Sales of Goods Act puts the onus on the consumer and not the retailer in these situations.
In principal I believe that the laptop should last longer than 3 years and that the fault lies with the laptop.

Any ideas?

Comet Response

Dec 8, 2009
Hi Heather1234,

Even though I note that your mother has always looked after her laptop, due to the information you have supplied at this stage any inspection/repair would be done so on a chargeable basis.

Once the inspection is completed the engineer would make an informed decision on whether the fault is due to fair wear and tear and not any defect. This process will be completed by a qualified engineer, and your mother will not need to complete any technical tasks, which will simplify the process.

Should you wish to arrange an inspection, please return the laptop to your local Comet store, and a colleague will be happy to make the necessary arrangements, and take payment.

Thanks

Matt from Comet

Heather1234

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks for your response. My mother did visit the Comet store where she got it from and they were not very helpful at all, infact one of the sales people who she spoke to told her that the Sales of Goods Act did not apply in the UK and even after speaking to the Manager she was advised to take it along to get it repaired at her own cost.
They did not suggest an inspection but did provide details of where she could get it repaired - but that she would have to take it herself to do this.
Should she revisit the store and leave it with them to arrange for inspection - and if they decline to do this what should she do.

thanks
Heather

neb1405

Nov 19, 2010
Thanks for your response. My mother did visit the Comet store where she got it from and they were not very helpful at all, infact one of the sales people who she spoke to told her that the Sales of Goods Act did not apply in the UK and even after speaking to the Manager she was advised to take it along to get it repaired at her own cost.
They did not suggest an inspection but did provide details of where she could get it repaired - but that she would have to take it herself to do this.
Should she revisit the store and leave it with them to arrange for inspection - and if they decline to do this what should she do.

thanks
Heather
WHAT!? That's outrageous!!! The Sales of Goods Act did not apply in the UK?!

That's plain incompetence!

I would definitely consider taking this up with their H/O.