1st response from Game RE: Faulty PS3 - Further help needed

MZone

Jan 12, 2011
After following the advice and sending in the template letter I have had the following response from Game:

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear of the difficulties that you have been experiencing with your Xbox360 console.

As you may be aware,the guarantee period on this console is 12 months from the date of purchase.

Within this period, if your console develops a manufacturing fault we would be happy to either refund or exchange this for you (subject to product availability).

Outside of this period your console would be covered under the Sales of Goods Act 1979, dependent upon the nature of the fault, however, when considering the age of your machine we feel that it has performed within expectation and has proved to be durable with over 3 years usage.

You may however choose to contact the manufacturers Microsoft who do offer a chargeable repair service.

Kind Regards
Mark G

The funny thing is I actually own a PS3 not an Xbox360 so have they even actually read the e-mail properly.

I purchased my PS3 console on launch day so it will be 4 years old on 27/03/2011 and I paid £425 for it.

Where do I go from here guys? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sunny85

Mar 8, 2011
Hi, My launch ps3 recently YLOD on me lasting under 4 years. I sent email to Game customer services, havent heard back yet. I would also like to know how would you reply to that response incase i get something similar.

dinah

Dec 5, 2010
If you can prove the fault is inherent and not fair wear and tear or accidental damage you have redress under the Sale of Goods Act. However you have to prove that the fault is inherent.. this is tricky and may cost you to have console examined. Game must refund this money if you can then prove an inherent fault - but it doesn't have to if not. So you have to weigh up the pros and cons of paying to get an independent report. If you choose to do this then you should write to Game informing the company this is the action you are taking and if your case is proved then you expect the console to be repaired, replaced or a pro rata refund - plus the costs of the inspection. I advise you write this letter because Game may argue that it didn't know your intentions and say it could get an independent report cheaper.
Dinah

Sunny85

Mar 8, 2011
Hi i got my first response today:

As you may be aware, the guarantee period on this console is 12 months from the date of purchase. Within this time, if your console develops a manufacturing fault we would be happy to either refund or exchange this for you (subject to product availability).

Outside of this period your console would be covered under the Sales of Goods Act 1979, dependent upon the nature of the fault.

If the console is displaying an inherent fault, we will be happy to provide a free repair or in the event the console is beyond economical repair we would look to offer a like for like replacement. Unfortunately, our stores are unable to accept returns of this nature at this stage. To enable us to track your console during the repair please provide the following details either via letter or via phone:

Full Name

Full address

Telephone Number

Proof of Purchase

Type of console Console

Serial Number

Exact Fault

Once we have received these details we can let you know how to proceed.

Sunny85

Mar 8, 2011
ok so good news, just got off the phone from game, they have agreed to repair it for free as a goodwill gesture. they will be using Total console repair and will come with 3 month warranty incase it goes faulty again which im sure will happen sooner. these dont last very long even after repairs. still better then paying £134 out of my own pocket. Thanks to amazing help from consumer direct, i'll keep you guyz updated. and good luck

Sunny85

Mar 8, 2011
Mzone i would atleast write back correcting them on the console mix up, maybe call them