What are my rights..??

Nighthawk43

Jan 17, 2011
Hi,
My question is what are my rights in this situation..?? I live in Glasgow.
I bought a pair of P.A speakers from an online dj store on 15th November 2010 who also have a shop in Southampton, now when i ordered them online the website did not say whether they were in stock or not, but i ordered them anyway. One week passes no delivery of speakers yet the money is taken from my bank account, so i phone the shop and they tell me the speakers i ordered are not in stock and need to be shipped from the manufacturers in Holland and they would be delivered in 4-6 days, another week passes and still no delivery of the speakers, so i phone the shop again and they said the manufacturer would not have them in stock until the beginning of December.
I wait until the second week of December and still no speakers have been delivered, so i call the shop again and was told they were shipped from Holland on the 7th December, on 15th December the UK IEC power leads arrived but no speakers, so i wait another week still no speakers, so once again i phone the shop to ask if they can contact the manufacturer in Holland and get me the tracking number of the speakers so i can track them online to see what stage of the delivery process they were at.
I was told to call back the next day and they would have the tracking number, so i called next day and was given the tracking number, which when i entered on DPD site came up with no results. It's now 22nd December and i remember the invoice that came with the power leads, so i look for any contacts on the manufacturers invoice and find the UK accounts managers email address, so i emailed her asking if the tracking number i was given by the shop was correct....she replied and told me that the tracking number the shop gave me was in fact NOT the tracking number, so she kindly gave me the correct tracking number and when entered on the DPD website i find they are in the Glasgow depot, now i knew the couriers were backlogged because of the severe weather....so i picked the speakers up on 23rd December, got them home and tested them for about 30 minutes and they seemed fine.
So i'm asked to dj at a new years eve party, and about 2 hours of playing one of the speakers the sound starts to distort, so i swap all my cables around to outrule a faulty cable....and for those who know about speakers the speakers are active, meaning they have built in amplifiers.
Now i check both speakers and the volume on both are at the same level and there are no red clip lights flashing on either speaker (clip lights are warning lights to tell you the speaker is being run too hard). So next day i test the speaker that the sound was distorting and the sound was ok, just like the other speaker....then after about 2 hours of playing music the sound started to distort again.....so i ask on pro audio forums and i'm told the pre-amp on the speaker is faulty.
So i phone the shop on the 4th January 2011 to report the faulty speaker and i'm finding that they are giving me the runaround....first they tell me they don't know whether the speaker should be sent to them or the manufacturer for testing, but they say if found faulty i will get a replacement, so i called the shop a couple of days later Friday 7th January and was told they were waiting to hear from the manufacturer to confirm whether the speaker should be sent to the shop or back to the manufacturer in Holland.
I wait another week and yet again i have to call the shop to ask what the hell is going on, they tell me the manufacturer has been in contact with the shop and that the manufacturer would call me to arrange for the speaker to be picked up by the courier....but still not heard from the manufacturer and i emailed the manufacturer last week just to make sure the shop wasn't giving me the runaround.

sorry for the long post i just wanted to give you the full nightmare experience i'm having with this shop from first purchasing the speakers to reporting the faulty speaker.
3 things that are leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.

1).Now from my past experiences with ordering dj equipment online....if the shop does not have the item in stock, should the shop not have to contact you to say they do not have the item in stock and ask if you want to wait until they have it in stock before they process the order and deduct the money from your bank account..??
2). The communication and customer service from this shop is a shambles....giving me a nonexistent tracking number. and me always having to call them to find out what is going on.
3). Giving me the runaround on who should deal with the faulty speaker the shop or the manufacturer. Surely the contract is between me and the shop, not me and the manufacturer, as it was the shop i payed my hard earned cash to.

As i said before sorry for the long post, but any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Nighthawk43.