Huge issues with my car still under finance

dlc121

Jan 18, 2011
Hi all,

This is my first post and I was hoping to get some sound advice on a massive issue I have with my car. Apologies for the length of this post.

I bought a car (Audi A5) under PCP just over 3 years ago (I put down a large deposit and have paid monthly since). The car is roughly 3 and a half years old and so out of the manufacturers warranty.

I have had the car serviced when needed by the approved Audi dealerships and have never had any work done by any unauthorised dealers.

Just before xmas a warning light came on and I contacted an Audi dealership to get the car sorted as I desperately needed it over xmas.

The dealership charged me £700 to replace a motor which they said was the issue that I was having, they also charged me to regenerate the filter. On driving the car home (about 5 miles) another warning light came on for the filter (which was not on previously). I called the dealership and they told me it should be fine and to call back the next day if it persisted. When I got in the car the next afternoon the light was still on but the dealership had shut early and I was left with no car over xmas.

As soon as they were back I took the car in and was told I needed a new filter at a cost of £1500. After much protesting (I stated I had paid for a regeneration and there must surely be something else causing the problem) they agreed to offer a 50% contribution.

I paid under protest and when I got my car home both the original engine light and the filter light had come on. I took the car back in and a week and a half later they have come back saying it needs a new timing chain, tensioner and cylinder head at a cost of £7500! They have said they will reduce this by 25% as a gesture of goodwill.

Do I have any sort of case here?

The car surely shouldnt have this serious an issue after just over 3 years, the costs assosiated add up to 1/3 of the value of the car.

Is there a case for due care as the dealership had the car for around 3 weeks and yet failed to diagnose the issue. They have said that as it is mechanical not electrical they had no way of knowing what the issue was. My feeling is that they chrge over £100 an hour to plug a diagnostic machine into the car and unless it tells them there is an issue they do nothing to physically check the car.

I also have the option to voluntary terminate the contract however it states that I have to taken all reasonable care to look after the car (which I have had serviced by audi properly). However there is a sub clause saying the car must be in decent condition when returned which at the moment it obviously isnt.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.