Fuel Prices Fall to under £1 a litre

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Welcome news at the pumps as most fuel retailers are lowering the price of unleaded and diesel... to 99.9p a litre unleaded and around 110p a litre for diesel

Channel 4 - News - Relief as fuel prices fall

Good news for the motorist but a mere drop in the ocean of what is needed to restore some consumer confidence. Still it is a step in the right direction...

Or is it?

The most telling point in this article was when it stated that the last time the price per barrel of oil was as low as $75 a barrel. (Down from a high of $147 a barrel earlier this year) was last September, when fuel prices were 95.2p unleaded and 96.9p diesel. So you are still paying 4.7p per litre more for unleaded and a staggering 13.1p more per litre for diesel, compared to last September.

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
Very interesting point Jorumian.

I'm just glad that they are finally coming doen below £1. Mind you my local Tesco is very slow at reducing their prices- they were still at 1.13 per litre for petrol until last week! The other areas in and around Aberdeen have been lower for longer- even the other Tescos!

Strange.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Not heard Tesco mentioned

Hi Scotchlass,

I must admit in the stories I have read, I have not heard Tesco's name mentioned as being one of the places where prices have been lowered. It was Asda and Morrisons and also BP I think are following suit at "some" of their garages... which I guess means the ones on the Galapagos islands, Tierra del fuego and Mars. It did however say that other retailers are "expected to follow suit". My guess is that most will know what their busiest day is for petrol, and may wait for that to pass one more time before they lower the prices.

I am also continually staggered by the disparity in fuel prices across the country and even within the local area. Let alone what we pay compared to the rest of the world.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
At last some good news! We get our petrol at our local Morrisons anyway as they always seem to be the cheapest locally.

There is a great website called Petrol Prices where you can check local fuel prices.