What percentage did you get off the asking price?

James

May 3, 2008
Just wondering what percentage you got off the asking price, if you bought a house recently. I heard that you should ask for 5-10% these days.

J.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Housing Slump

Well there is a David Mclean new build near me that was sold £189,000 five years ago when I move into my house and it is now £169,000. It is a Barratts' Oakleaf part exchange home and they are also offering 5% deposit paid. It is a bargain if you ask me can't imagine it going an lower

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
If you are in the position to cash-buy, a new build property can be snapped up at around 50% of the asking price as developers are on their knees for working capital and lending is drying up in this particular segment of the market.

Otherwise, the amount you get off the asking pice will depend on the desirability of the property. Some properties will be affected by the banks' reluctance to lend and the economic slow-down more than others. Unfortunately, for people who are still waiting to get on to the ladder, there is still a sizable demand for first-time type properties and the discount here are still likely to be negligible...

It also depends on factors such as whether you are in a chain and how desperate the vendor is to sell the property.

red

Aug 22, 2008
Certainly people who are wanting to move fast are likely to negotiate further than may of done in times gone by.

Developers slashing their fees suprises me to an extent. What have they done with the massive profits they have been gaining over the past 10 years??