Faulty handset after 8 mths, Orange say I have to go to manufacturer

Cath

Jan 29, 2011
Hi,
Today my Sony Ericsson Vivaz developed a problem. I went to the Orange shop and they put me on the phone to the 'handset fault' dept - a call centre overseas. The operator on the line said that as I've had phone 9 mths (on an 18 mth contract) that I have to contact Sony Ericsson themselves to have any repairs done and that my contract with them is for the services provided, not the actual phone. I did, however, buy the phone from them at the same time as taking out the contract. What can I do? I feel as though Orange should be liable but am not sure what to say to them with regards to this as I don't really know what rights I have.

Thanks Cathy

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi,
Sounds like they are trying to fob you off,
Irrelevant of how long you have had your phone - your contract is with orange (I do not mean service contract).

Or in other words , you purchased the phone off orange, not the manufacturer and therefore the responsibility of Orange to sort out any problems.

You are protected by the Sale of Goods Act , where all goods must be of satisfactory quality and as the phone has developed a fault it is no longer of satisfactory quality.

Call centres are a waste of time, send a letter of complaint to head office (use a recorded / signed for service) and photocopy the letter.
Template letters are available on this site.

Adam

Barton

Feb 9, 2011
Hi there, I'm sorry your handset developed a fault but when you take a contract out the 'contract' is for the service provided i.e sim card calls texts, the equipment isn't part of that contract (think it's section 13.1 in the t+cs), orange provided you with it on behalf of the manufacturer. This may seem abit unfair but they do say anything goes wrong in the first 6 month and they'll replace free of charge as gogw but after that your still covered by the manufactures warranty which is what you've been refered to, they do offer insurance if you wish to deal with orange direct though.