Advice please 2nd hand car sales :(

MISS-LUCY

Feb 1, 2011
Hi There

I bought a W reg Ford Puma from a local garage, last week, when I bought the car I also bought a warranty and was assured by the garage owner that the warranty covered everything except for "Windows and tyres".
I live in Middlesbough, but bought the car on the Friday (it had also had a brand new MOT that day and I was assured it was in Mint condition for its age), and drove it to Leeds, on the way to Leeds the clutch went making the car undriveable.
I was told by the garage that I needed to pay to have the car returned to them so they can repair the clutch.
I had the car towed from Leeds to Middlesbrough (which I paid for).

When the garage have looked at the car today they have told me that I have "driven the car like a boy racer, and have burn the clutch out" as a result of this they are saying the damage to the clutch was caused by me and they are charging me £300 to have the clutch replaced!!! i can assure you I did not drive like a cazy lady and took the drive very steady.
I have argued that the car was sold not fit for puropose and that they should cover the cost of the repairs but they are refusing.
The AA lad who assessed the car on the motorway told me the clutch was going before I bought it.
I am not sure where to go from here, I am really annoyed that a car sold in good faith broke the day I brought it, but am concerned that as the car is old, they will put this down to wear and tear.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks Lucy

T.C

Jan 5, 2011
Sorry I have not replied sooner but I have been out of the country for the past 3 weeks.

No matter how much you abuse a vehicle, a clutch will not burn out the same day as you purchased the car, and this on its own is stroong evidence that the vehicle was unfit for purpose when it was sold.

If you do not have roadside recovery which often included legal protection, look at your household insurance as this will often include legal expenses insurance and will allow you to get legal advice, and if they are properly switched on, they will instruct an engineer to carry out a full inspection and report on their findings.

This report should show that the clutch was already on its way out at time of purchase and would be good evidence when and if it went to court.

As an alternative, speak to the CAB, they often have duty solicitors who will be able to provide you with free legal advice and point you in the right direction.