Getting lost on holiday

gkd_uk

May 6, 2008
What would you do if you were to get lost on Holiday and were on your own? And it would be even worser if you did not understand the countries language

Will

May 5, 2008
I can't agree more a GPS really comes into its own when you are abroad. It takes away so much stress and you can really have some fun. For example, just head-off the beaten track to see what you find safe in the knowledge that your GPS will get you back safely. I like using the shortest route option in places like the Lake District as it will take you down routes that very few use - just make sure you are not driving an HGV!! LOL

Will

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
I have been lost a few time on holiday and it can be quite a daunting experience...particularly where you don't speak the language well.

If you are in a city and intending to go for a wander, I would advice trying not to look like a tourist. You have a much bigger chance of being relieved of your posessions of you appear helpless.

GPS is a great idea...as long as you also have a good map and know where you want to get to.

If you are lost somewhere like a desert or some other featureless landscape...a top survival tip is to continually throw something in the direction you which to go in and follow that as, otherwise, you'll end up walking around in circles!

greatscotuk

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
If you are lost somewhere like a desert or some other featureless landscape...a top survival tip is to continually throw something in the direction you which to go in and follow that as said:
Haha!... love it!

If you're in a city, there are plenty of places where you can buy a mini-map that you can fold up and tuck into your pocket, only to be retrieved when you're desperate! Alternatively, there are plenty of guides available in the UK, so you can do your homework before you go.

This is what I did when me and my wife went to Naples. I got a guide before I went and a mini-map upon arrival. This enabled us to spent more time marvelling at the city's sites than worrying about where we were.

If your in a more rural location, take the number of your hotel before you leave. If you do get lost, and can't find a Tourist Info Centre (because let's face it, they're pretty much everywhere!), then you can give them a call.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
My brothers friend...

My favourite getting lost on holiday story is my brothers friends tale. His family booked a fortnight away in Cornwall, however the father, Steve, was unable to get the first day of the holiday off work as he worked nights. So they hit upon a plan where the mum and kids (all of whom were grown up) would travel down during the day and my brothers best friend Peter would remain at home, and drive down with his dad Steve in the early hours immediately after Steve finished his nightshift, thus avoiding some of the worst of the traffic.

All went well and Peter duly arrived to pick Steve up from work in the early hours. Steve however was tired after work and fell fast asleep in the back of the car. It is important at this point to point out that Peter was, and still is, a few biscuits short of a packet.

Steve awoke a good few hours later to ask how things were going. "Great !" replied Peter, "We are coming off the motorway soon!" Steve glanced at his watch, he couldn't believe that only three hours or so had passed and they were already near the terminus of the M5 at Exeter. "Where are we?" he asked.

"near somewhere called Carlisle - the end of the motorway."

I swear this is a true story. Emphasised by the fact that they turned around and stopped at Killington services coming south. a contrite Peter went in to pay for their breakfast, and realised he'd left his wallet at home. So on their way back they called in to pick it up.

Also, when asked by two workmen if he could make them "two coffees, one white one sugar, one black no sugar". Disappeared into the kitchen, banged tins and cups around for 15 minutes and came back out stating "We haven't got any black or white coffee, will brown do?"

Last edited:

glider3560

Apr 9, 2009
If you are in a tourist area, then most people are usually friendly and will try and help you - even if you don't speak the same language.