selling privatly

fairydoll

Feb 4, 2011
Hello hope you can shed some light on my situation.
I recently sold a car privatly from my home. I advertised truthfully as best i could even using some advisory id had to mention there was some play in the prop shaft but it wasnt imminant.
Now the lady that bought the car came back to me a week later and told me she had had it inspected and there was alot wrong with it that was going to cost her 1600 quid!!!!!
I was indeed shocked at this. Firstly in my ad. i stated that i recommend people come and see it to see what they are buying and i also mentioned any inspections welcome. Secondly the womans husband test drove it and he was a mechanic!!! They never looked at the car just bought it. Thirdly when we exchanged money and car i asked if he would be so kind as to give us a lift to a garage where i was buying a car and he did so . I asked if he was pleased with the car he said yes, and lastly when the lady bought the car she and i signed a reciept to state it was a private sale and test driven sold as seen.
Now she came back asking for 600 quid towards the cost of the car which i declined as i know my mind i know whats true and im not liable under SOGA at the advice of the trading standards.
The lady mentioned she was going to sue me for all costs and damages and she has two third party advisors that say i sold the car because of the problems.
I also have had garage quotes from her stating it needs a new diff and transfer box, cam belt etc etc . surely if it needed new diff they would hear a loud noise when they bought it and so would i. but the garage she has been to said they wouldnt have seen it at the test drive.
I am very upset as i was using that car with my babies in it right up until the day it was sold, and if indeed i knew about any fault she is alledging, does she think i would be so damn irresponsible.
Please advise as she is taking me to court, its not only buyers that get done over its seller too. genuine ones like myself.cheers