Poor workmanship

withnail1969

Feb 13, 2011
I've had a lean-to garage installed with valley gutter and polycarb roof.
The builder has done work for us before (chimney rebuild etc) and been fine so we trusted him.
He laid a concrete floor on Friday that is a good 1-2 inches too high and he sloped the floor down so it doesn't cover the ventilation bricks.
It looks a mess, totally unprofessional, unlevel and unfinished.
The valley gutter is also leaking in a couple of places.
I phoned today and he's coming out tomorrow to try for the second time to repair the roof but he's not interested in the floor ('it's finished' were his comments).
We've paid half the cost but we're deeply unhappy to have a leaky roof and a floor that is unsatisfactory and maybe affecting the ventilation to the house.
He's coming tomorrow. I don't want to pay him any more.
We have no written contract just verbal.
What should I do.
I honestly think he's not up to the job, I'm now worried he's just going to make things worse.
Thanks

Cowboy Trap 3

Feb 24, 2011
Hi I'm working on the third series of BBC 1's Cowboy Trap and we are currently looking for stories of homeowners who have been stung by builders who have carried out work on their home. The aim of the programme is for our team to help put right the mess “cowboy” builders have left behind by hiring in the “good guys”, who can come in and fix the problems they have been left with. Get in touch, call 0207 258 6724