Jobseekers warned to be wary of uploading CVs

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
A company called iProfile has run an experiment, backed by the police, which found that jobseekers may be disclosing too much personal information when uploading CVs. The company placed a job advert in a newspaper and asked for CVs to be submitted through a website. 107 people did this, and 61 of their applications contained enough information to apply for a credit card in the person's name - placing the individual at risk of identity theft.

According to iProfile, the pieces of information which are most of use to identity thieves, and should therefore be omitted from CVs, are date of birth, marital status, and place of birth.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Common sense really, but just to add there is absolutely no reason to add this information to your CV anyway.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
I guess date of birth really has to remain a piece of private info. I'm always surprised how many people have theirs for example on their Facebook profiles.

llx

Aug 26, 2010
I am currently looking for work and have posted my CV on various job sites on the internet. As mentioned in the post, I do not include my date or place of birth, but obviously I do need to include contact details. However I have been contacted by several recruitment agencies who have seen my CV asking for scans of various documents before they will let me register with them and have access to their list of vacancies. They say that they are required by law to check my eligibility to work in the UK and I must supply these documents i.e driving licence, passport, full birth certificate. If I supply the documents, they will have my Date of birth, place of birth, current address, my maiden name, my mother's maiden name, copy of my signature - quite enough information to set up a false identity. I always try to check that the agencies are genuine - but how easy is it to use a genuine company name and clone their website?
Has anyone any ideas on how I could protect myself from fraud and still convince a genuine recruiter that I am a British citizen and eligible to work in the UK?