HSBC closed my account after 9 years for being overdrawn!

Stevetothen

Feb 21, 2011
Hi, I'm new to this website and indeed posting on forums in general so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, due to the recent ordeal that is Christmas and new year money has been tight. My HSBC current account had run into the red (only by £50 or so) at the end of each month for the past 3 months. Now you would think that given I have to pay a £20 fine each time it goes into my un-authorised overdraft, then HSBC wouldn't mind this happening considering if they looked at my credit history they would see that the money I earn every month is easily enough to cover the debt...

At this point I will mention that I also have a credit card with them which was nearly at it's limit, of course again this in reality is providing HSBC with all the interest they charge me for the pleasure of having their product. I had carefully managed it so that I had spent to the point that was just under my limit so as not to go over. The next time I had checked it, it for some reason was £30 over so obviously was concerned. I am still trieng to find out why this happened, unfortunately this was actually the least headache causing event...

So I knew at this point for whatever reason my credit card wasn't working and that my current account debit card was overdrawn (not a brilliant situation!) but I knew it was only a matter of time before the next payment from my work was due so I gritted my teeth and stuck it out with the help of my girlfriend.

We were on the way to work when we stopped for petrol only to realise she had forgot her card. In desperation I tried my debit card in the machine, it swallowed it up (which I half expected to happen - could be fraudulent maybe a person trieng to use a card knowing there was no money in the account). Eventually got petrol and were on our way. When I checked my online banking when I got home it no longer showed my current account on there, I thought it was strange so I called the bank. The gentleman on the other end of the phone delightfully informed me my account haf been closed and I would have to report to the bank for more information... So on my first day off (today) I popped in to find out what's happened. I wa told my account has been closed; I cannot reopen the same account; AND not only that but can no longer open a new current account with HSBC!! Also the account which is now classed as a "collection" (or maybe that is what was applied to it - I was a bit confused by it all to be honest!) and that the Metropolitan Debt Recovery company would need me to call them to speak to them about this whole situation - I am still to call them.

What I would like to know is if anyone else has been in this position and indeed it the bank etc have the right to do this? After all I have had the same account with them for 9 years! I can't comment on customer service because I'm still waiting to receive any! In my opinion if anyone had been my customer for 9 years I would try to help them.

Thanks for any help :)

Steve