Problem with argos re: Tv guarantee

islandhealer

Mar 7, 2011
I wonder if anyone can help.

I bought a Sony tv from Argos 8 months ago. The reason we bought this particular television was that it had a 3 year guarantee.

There should have been a form in the box to be sent to Sony within 28 days for the 3 year guarantee to be registered and valid. However this form was missing from the box.

For the last 8 months I have had the runaround from Argos. I have written numerous recorded delivery letters to Sara Weller, to no avail. All I get is a phone call from someone in her office telling me that this form will be received from Sony within 28 days.......................... it never arrives and so it goes on.

If I ring sony, they say it is up to Argos to sort this out.

What do I do now? How do I get the form and even if I do, are Sony going to honour it after 8 months.

I am absolutely disgusted with Argos. They havent even had the decency to acknowledge my letters in writing. :mad:

This was an expensive television and I am not sure how to proceed with this matter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

dinah

Dec 5, 2010
I wonder if anyone can help.

I bought a Sony tv from Argos 8 months ago. The reason we bought this particular television was that it had a 3 year guarantee.

There should have been a form in the box to be sent to Sony within 28 days for the 3 year guarantee to be registered and valid. However this form was missing from the box.

For the last 8 months I have had the runaround from Argos. I have written numerous recorded delivery letters to Sara Weller, to no avail. All I get is a phone call from someone in her office telling me that this form will be received from Sony within 28 days.......................... it never arrives and so it goes on.

If I ring sony, they say it is up to Argos to sort this out.

What do I do now? How do I get the form and even if I do, are Sony going to honour it after 8 months.

I am absolutely disgusted with Argos. They havent even had the decency to acknowledge my letters in writing. :mad:

This was an expensive television and I am not sure how to proceed with this matter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi well you not only have the warranty you have protection under the sale of goods act. so for now let's forget this warranty because Sony is correct - it is up to Argos to sort this out - your contract is with this retailer. I am not sure what the issue with the TV is but if you believe it is an inherent fault, then write a registered letter to Argos stating when you brought the fault to its attention. You have up to 6 months in which the onus is on Argos to prove the fault is not inherent. You are over this time but Argos has continually refused to deal with the problem so it I am pretty sure it would still legally be up to it to prove you are wrong. Tell them that you have tried to get redress but been unsuccesful. Give argos 7 working days in which to reply to your letter and say if it doesn't you will take the matter to the small claims court. Usually that gets retailers moving their arses, If not you can contact me again.. I can't leave email addresses on this forum so have a look at a copy of computeractive (you dont have to buy it just go to newsagent or look online) for the consumeractive email address :cool:
Dinah Greek

Agent75

Nov 5, 2014
From purchasing a TV and a number of laptops from Argos and the fact that I'm an ex Argos employee, here's some advice.

Argos buy in repaired TVs and laptops, plus other items. I once purchased a Sharp TV only to find that it was a display model that was full of marks and dust. Argos had the cheek to charge me full price. I returned the TV for a refund. Last year, I purchased an LG TV only to find that it had been used online by someone else. I called LG and they told me to return it. I did and got a refund. A few years ago, I purchased a HP laptop only to find that when I went to register it with HP, it'd already been registered 9 months before. I returned it and exchanged it for an Acer laptop, only to find that the screen was flickering. I returned it and I was given an exchange (the same model). About 2 weeks later, the screen started flickering. I returned it and Argos decided to send it away to be repaired. After 2 weeks, it turned out that my laptop had been lost. I was given a refund and purchased a Toshiba laptop, but had to pay an extra £20, as it was more expensive than the Acer laptop. After setting up the laptop, I found that there was no Microsoft Works installed, even though it stated that it was installed in the item description on the Argos website. Recently, a friend purchased an LG TV only to find that it'd been used by someone else. It was returned and replaced with the same model. From experience, I stay well away from Argos. Even when I worked for Argos, I never bought anything using my staff discount. Argos get a lot of returns, more so with TVs etc. As for their pricing, most of the time, you can find items cheaper elsewhere. Plus, Argos don't price match as they claim to offer cheap prices on a daily basis. As for guarantees, they're a minefield sometimes. John Lewis offer a free 5 year guarantee with all TVs, unlike Argos and Curry's.