builders final bill

Dyno D

Mar 13, 2011
hi, my problem is with my builders final bill. the bill was sent to me and had extras added on to it. some of the extras had been agreed but when i queried the bill and asked for a detailed account he came back with a larger bill from a solicitor.
the larger bill included the difference in costs for the original bill for extra work done at the beginning of the build when a sewer was found running under the founds. this bill was paid for after a lot of arguing over the costs and pointing out mistakes.

my question is can he do this as this amount was agreed and paid?

also when he tendered for the job the price was £24,355 + VAT. when he sent the final bill he quoted £24,855 + VAT. when i pointed out this mistake he sent another bill stating that it was an arithmetical error and the final figures were still correct. they were not. the bill still came to500 +VAT too much.

no matter what i do or say he just digs his heels in and demands the money. i have offered him a sum near to his first figure but he sent back the cheque. i sent the cheque back stating that this was my final offer.

what is my best option?(scottish law)