Harverys - What a Nightmare? What Next??

ocallaghanjo

Mar 15, 2011
Nearly 2 years ago we brought a chrome & glass dining room table from Harverys, together with the insurance that they sold us to go with it. Almost straight away the chrome started to peel away from the metal of the legs, so we contacted to Harverys & they said it must have been because we kept it somewhere wet!! We asked for an inspector to come out and have a look at it, so that we could have a refund & they said NO. In the end they agreed that if we paid for the furniture ombudsman to come out & report on it, they we give us our money back if he found the table faulty. He did find the table faulty so they gave us the money back for the inspection but not for the table.

In the mean time the chairs had begun to fall to bits, the stapling had come undone, the feet had worn down & were damaging the floor & one chair had split. They decided to offer us a credit note!! Now we really didn't know what to do - we certainly didn't want another piece of Harverys furniture but we wanted it other & done with. So we decided to give them the benefit of doubt & we chose another more expensive table, handed other more money & waited for the delivery.

Guess what - when the table turned up, which was a very nice table, 2 chairs were scratched, & the table was scratched & marked in at least 6 places. The delivery men said to me that I'm never going to get anything better than that with Harverys, any replacement chairs that come out will probably be in a worse condition.

We've had enough now we want our money back - how do we go about it? Harverys don't want to know!! Help - please!!!

dsr

Feb 21, 2011
We've had enough now we want our money back - how do we go about it? Harverys don't want to know!! Help - please!!!
I would give up mate.

I'm in a battle with Harveys over a sofa that was delivered faulty and I'm getting no where.

I've taken advice from CLS and Consumer Direct and I'm facing a long drawn out battle through the courts.

Harveys will try and impose there own T&C's over the SOGA which is not exactly within law. But trading standards wont take any action even though they were the people who advised me Harveys were close to breaking rules laid out under 'The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008'.

Harveys leave a trail of destrution behind them. Watchdog highlighted Harveys shortcomings in 2010 and Harveys even have a special Watchdog email address. But watchdog are no longer intrested in Harveys ( not enough entertainment value at present ) and wont respond to any help.

I'm now up to my neck in section 75 claims and nearly 3 months on am getting nowhere fast. Getting help and advice is virtually impossible ( note my thread on here ! ).

My advice to you, is burn the stuff Harveys sent you, put it down to experience and never shop with them again.

ocallaghanjo

Mar 15, 2011
We shouldn't have to give up!! We have got an appointment for an inspector to come & look at the latest lot of trash they have sent us!! No doubt this won't get us anywhere, but the more appointments that these inspectors are being sent too, surely must help people in the future.

They can't carry on trading for much longer - in this day & age where there are company's being made bankrupt all over the place, how can they rip people off yet still keep trading!

We have also contacted watchdog, but too no avail, surely this will be something that will be brought up again if there are enough people who are upset.

My husband spoke to the manager of our local Harveys store yesterday & she said to him "she was fed up with the number of irate customers she'd had to deal with this week" - that says it all.

dsr

Feb 21, 2011
Ok, you can try the following contact numbers and it might be useful to know that Harveys appointed a new CEO this year( who's name escapes me ), but I wouldnt hold out much hope from him has he was also MD of PC World - says it all really !

( Replace at with @)

GemmaAllen-Morgan 'at' harveys-furnishing.co.uk

info 'at' steinhoffinternational.com ( Harveys parent company )

Watchdog 'at' harveys-furnishing.co.uk ( email Harveys set up for BBC watchdog )

Consumer advice / help is pretty scant these days and inconsistant at best. The CLS, Consumer Direct have all given highly conflicting advice. You're pretty much on your own if you go to court and Harveys WILL stall out the procedure by :

Not turning up and then requesting a set aside
Will not obey the court order, which means more enforcement costs
Will take a legal team with them and cause even more hassle.

If you paid by Credit Card, you may have a section 75 claim, but even then you will be up against the banks and they make Harveys look like novice's for customer service.

You could leaflet customers walking into one of Harveys stores which might attract local press. Therefore they may refund you to get rid.

Other then that I cant suggest much other then court action ( which is also fraught with pitfalls and NOT as easy has some consumer forums would have you believe ).

Judaphine

Apr 26, 2011
Bad news, bubby. Harveys don't do refunds, or even proper repairs. Mum bought a recliner from them to help with the pain in her lower half (deteriorating bones) and breathing problems when sleeping. It took about 3 or 4 months for them to deliver it and it broke after 3 weeks. After much fuss and demanding of reimbursement on my mother's part, repair was agreed to. when the technician finally came around, he discovered that the frame in the back had not just broken, but splintered :eek:. He even took pictures and a swatch of the fabric so that the company would know what needed replacing. They told us it would take 6 weeks for the new part to be delivered. It ended up taking another 4 months and they merely sent a scrap of fabric in the wrong texture and colour instead of a new chair back. Mum has since passed on, so it's no longer needed, and I'm stuck with a very expensive cat bed, as that's the only thing it's really good for.

maffy

May 15, 2011
Re: Harveys - What a Nightmare? What Next??

This is the frustrating reply I got from Harvey after all I have been through (see below). They ignored my telephone complains and I was left with a bed and wardrobe that are in pieces. I would be lying in the bed and it would suddenly give way. I have now taken the whole bed base off the bed and now am as good as sleeping on the floor. The sliding doors of the wardrobe stopped working a long time ago, now they are inconveniently kept opened and I have to stretch inwards to reach for clothes. Imagine having to make all these adjustments to expensive furniture you are still paying for. Its a nightmare. i have to find out myself if this problem is of a manufacturing nature? Was it too much for them to make that decision and get things sorted for me? The furniture took almost a year before it was delivered and soon after problems started and the furniture was falling apartment. I was thrown from one person to another at the Harveys store where I bought the bedroom furniture. I think we all should put in an inditment to have Harveys closed!! :mad:

REPLY FROM HARVEYS
"I can confirm that upon receiving your claims form a voice message was left advising that no further action would be taken at this moment in time. We do not feel that the complaint you have raised is of a manufacturing nature so are unable to assist your further. If you are unhappy with this response, we would advise you to obtain an independent report which deems the reported fault to be of a manufacturing nature before we are able to look into your claim further".:mad: