HMV Expanding into 2nd hand game market

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Today HMV are allowing people to trade in their unwanted computer games to earn credits to be used off anything else in store, as part of an aggressive campaign in this area.

News: HMV launches new-for-old Re/Play games initiative - Marketing Week

I know another retailer, Game, has been doing this quite a while with their trade ins and I suppose in the current economic climate, this makes some sense. However what irks me with this, is the seeming lack of regulation as to how these systems work. An example being that I took a game down, which was relatively new, but did not interest me. It was retailing new at around £30. I was offered £8 for it as a trade in. Yet when I looked in the second hand games for sale, there were copies of the game that I wanted to trade in, being sold second hand for £24.99. A 66% mark up, on a game that probably they have already made their profit on once already.

It is perhaps no wonder that HMV are trying to get their slice of this rather lucrative pie. I only hope that sooner or later someone looks into regulating this as I feel at the moment, consumers are being a little ripped off.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I always wondered how much they gave you for old games. Now I know thanks. I don't know why people don't just sell them on ebay - they are easy enough to post.

Tony

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Spot on

The retailers do say it depends on the age of the game, and of course it's current RRP. They also refuse any games that are not in a decent enough condition (scratches on CD for example). However I've found that even so, you still only get offered less than half what they will sell the game on for.

I could understand it more if the 2nd hand games were priced much lower, but they are not, and often they are priced just a couple of pounds cheaper than the original game brand new.

And I did precisely what you suggested Tony, and I think I got about £22 for the game on Ebay, and spent about 78p on the postage. I've not bothered going back since.

I just feel for the kids and parents who will want the new games coming out this Christmas, will go to trade in the games, and will be summarily cheated by the undervaluing, and overselling of the second hand goods market. As you say Tony, best advice is to avoid and sell on Ebay with a minimum selling price set.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
I would assume that HMV would have new games on sale or return though, whereas second-hand games, if there is a no resale, is more of a risk they may not get a return. That is probably why the mark-up I am guessing.

I think its a good marketing idea and also not everyone is bothered to sell via eBay.