Faulty tumble dryer - broken within a week

J

jb06

A tumble dryer I had delivered from a mail order catalogue 13/10/08 has broken within a week. The dryer is a sensor condenser and is supoposed to make the process easier by detecting when clothing is dry and automatically switching off. Since the day it arrived I have had not had a single load of drying from the appliance - despite following the operating guidelines the dryer initially switched itself off claiming my clothes were dry when they were either sopping wet or very damp at least. They were not suitable to iron and certainly not suitable to wear. Yesterday the dryer would not even switch on, a light fitted inside the drum is now out and when disconnecting the plug from the mains it gave me an electric shock.
I have emailed the mail order catalogue requesting they arrange to collect the appliance but am concerned they will insist on sending an engineer. I feel this is totally unacceptable - I do not wish to have this patched up and possibly be left with a fire or electrical hazard on my hands. I think anyone would expect a tumble dryer to be in working order for at least some months if not years. My question is, in the circumstances can I refuse an engineer/repair and demand a full refeund?

Consume

Nov 26, 2008
That seems very unfair, tell them you will get your lawyer to see the situation if they don't give you a refund.

Saxon68

Dec 9, 2008
yes u can refuse. the law says goods must be of merchantable quality...this period proves its not