CD Player

kingfrog

Mar 20, 2011
Purchased 2007 SAAB from dealer. Ad listed the spec, including had a CD player.

Did not try CD player until about 1 month after purchase and it would not play any disc.

Dealer is about 1 hours + drive away. Informed dealer of fault and suggested that I pop the car in for them to have a look at.

As was travelling past garge 2 weeks later left it until then.

They tried a disc, and would not work. When I asked what they would do about it they said 'nothing as no warranty would cover CD player'.

Pointed out that goods sold had to be fit for purpose and this CD player obviously was not. Initially refused to do anything, but as was pulling out of garage came over and suggested that I write to him.

This was done and he suggested that he may pay half (this was by phone). SAAB would have wanted over £1000 to replace, however, found a secondhand unit for £295.

E mails sent to dealer but no reply.

Suggestions?

T.C

Jan 5, 2011
You are quite right that under the sales of goods act, the items purchased must be fit for purpose and this includes accessories such as CD players.

If the dealer will not play ball, then you are quite within your rights to issue proceedings in the small claims court for the replacement or repair of the CD player and recover your out of pocket costs as well as the cost of the repairs.

Unfortunately a solicitor will noot take on such a case unless the value of the claim is over £5,000 as they are unbale to claim any costs and therefore you would become liable for these costs, but the paperwork can be completed at the local county court and the staff will help you complete the paperwork.

If it went to trial the judge would be nvery much on your side as this is clearly a dealer who is not prepared to look after his customers and comply with the law.