Marks and spencers furniture help needed pls

whufc77

Apr 6, 2011
Hi there I wonder if anybody could shed some light on this situation

Back in Early April 2010 I purchased 4 items of furniture from marks and spencer’s. The 4 items consisted of 1x two setter settee, 1x Armchair, and 2 Footstalls’. The Items cost me £1416 to be exact. I thought I was buying from a company that do not compromise on quality, so I felt the decision was justified compared to an equivalent at DFS for half the price.

My 74 year old mother took delivery of a suite comprising of 1 sofa, 1 chair and 2 footstalls on the 19th may 2010. My mother was present for the delivery due to my wife giving birth to our daughter earlier that morning (who by the way gave birth to our beautiful daughter !)

When the delivery guys arrived at our home, my mother noticed that the hessian on the bottom of both the chair and the sofa were damaged (ripped).

My mother pointed this out to one of the delivery men, who just replied ‘if you are not happy with it then we will take it back!’
Then the same delivery guy was asked by my mother about a set of screws in some plastic, He replied ‘oh you don’t need them’ and put them back on his lorry. It was only after we came home exhausted from the hospital that we realised that the screws were for all the legs to fix them in place!
On Inspection of the suite I found faults all over it which are listed below

Sofa: Hessian ripped on bottom of sofa. No screws in any feet which have ruined carpet fitted Saturday before delivery. A pleat is present on left arm when not present on right arm?

Chair: 4 tears underneath in the hessian. All legs rotating on carpet due to no fixing screws! Filling in cushion is stretching the cover to expose different colour zip mechanism. NEW FAULT: Join on arm has exposed stitching, Fabric showing signs of wear from about six months.

Footstall 1: loose threads around trim piping. Excess cotton stitching around trim. All feet loose as driver did not correctly fit feet.

Footstall 2: Different colour to footstall 1. Feet loose no screws fitted by driver. Cotton threads hanging loose on trim.

All 4 pieces of my furniture is a different colour to the next. I am not talking about the chenille pattern or pile, but the actual colour of the fabric.

To some up the look of the Suite it looks tatty and bear in mind that it is only my wife and I that use it not a house full of children jumping all over it. The material just seems to be ‘baggy’ over the chair and sofa frames.

Batch numbers are as follows:

ITEM Batch No
Sofa- 22apr2010,
Emily chair- 7may2010,
Footstall 1- 8may2010,
Footstall 2- 25apr2010,

I telephoned the customer services team on Monday the 24th may 2010 to arrange an inspection. The inspection took place on the 26th May 2010 with someone from M&S. I put to him the faults listed above and he said someone from M&S will be in touch.

3 months later I had to chase up the repair and spoke to JB. J said he will speak to the assessor and get back to me. He never did!

I wrote to M&S via email on the 24th November 2010 and then received this reply:

Dear Mr D
Thanks for your email regarding your furniture order.

I'm pleased to hear that you've had a baby girl and were able to bring her home. I'm sorry to hear that you feel the furniture is faulty and can understand your concerns. Also I'm sorry to hear about the level of service that you mother in-law had received from our delivery team and I've looked into this for you.

All of our delivery drivers are trained to deliver and assemble our furniture and if there is any issues with the furniture order then they are aware of the correct procedure. Which would be to contact us so we can register any complaints upon delivery. As this didn't happen we arranged for one of our Home Service Technician who we employ through a company called FIRA to inspect the furniture for you.

As the Technician that visited your house has not house any faults with the furniture. We will have to stick to their conclusion and as you've prevented the Technician from fitting replacement linings and screws in the legs. I can authorise for a Technician to come back and resolve this for you.

Alternatively if you feel you'd like to take this matter further you can contact The Furniture Ombudsmen on 0845 653 2064, to discuss the matter further.

Mr Davis if I can be of further help. Please feel free to call me or our Customer Service team on 08457 624 624 or please visit our help page at: help.marksandspencer.comAsk Marks & Spencer A Question.
Kind Regards

Moubeen Narou

I have a few questions to ask

Do I have a case for compensation or refund partly or in full?

If I have a case what next?

I really do appreciate any help or feedback given

Kind regards
Ben

Ombudsmen or small claims court?