Multi Furnish mattress? Need urgent advice

plum_pie

Apr 10, 2011
Today my partner and I went to a mattress sale we had seen advertised by a roadside poster. It was advertised as a bankruptcy sale and that there were luxury mattresses available at discount prices.

We went to the hotel and looked around the showroom. The salesman seemed to know his stuff and told us about the importance of a straight spine alignment, etc etc. All the mattresses were branded with the name 'Multi furnish'.

We saw one mattress that we really liked, called 'Supreme', my partner found it seriously comfortable and I thought it felt really luxurious too. It was a 2000 pocket sprung mattress with a goose down and memory foam top layer - £595 kingsize. The guy told us that that sort of mattress would be nearer to £2000 if we bought it at retail price.

The mattress felt quite soft at the edges so I asked if it was reinforced. He said that good quality mattresses are not reinforced at the edges and proceeded to give me a technical explanation which I didn't really follow.

We thought hard about the mattress and decided to try to reserve what we thought was an amazing bargain. After checking that we had time to change our minds and that no payment was required up front, we gave them our name, address and phone number on a basic order form. He also threw in free delivery and some free pillows.

When we got home we decided to look up Multi Furnish mattresses for reviews and general comparison info. The weird thing is, apart from a very basic website, which doesnt mention mattresses at all, they seem to have no web presence at all. No reviews, no forum postings about them, no links to suppliers who stock these mattresses, no Which reviews. Nothing. We're now feeling a little nervous and are thinking of cancelling the order. We have not given them any payment details nor have we signed anything, and they told us that payment was not required until delivery, which we have not arranged.

Any advice would be really welcome. Has anyone heard of, or had any dealings with, this company?

Thanks!
:)

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
It sounds like a typical sales con. They have probably had mattresses made by another company, and then had their name put on them.

The con is the fact that they advertise it as a bankruptcy sale to make you think you are getting a real bargin, yet you are probably actually getting a low spec mattress that has just been made to feel comfortable when new (something the big brands to a lot these days). Then a few months down the road when it feels uncomfortable there is no come back.

plum_pie

Apr 10, 2011
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. Perhaps we would be better to cancel our order. You're right, there was a whiff of a con about it all.

Can I ask whether you or anyone else would recommend a particular brand of mattress as good and long lasting? The reason we are looking for a new mattress is that my Sealy mattress has got very very uncomfortable even though it is only 2 years old. I don't know where to go for a new mattress to ensure that this does not happen again.

Many thanks

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
Yes I would cancel if I were you.

I can't recommend any brand as I am in the trade, and would be breaking forum rules. However I would say to stay away from big brand names and big retailers. Instead buy smaller independent brands where they still take pride in their products, rather than mass producing mattresses on a production line. Shop on line from a seller who gives a proper satisfaction guarantee that allows you to actually unpack and sleep on the mattress.

Have a look at this mattress advice site. It doesn't contain any links, or try to sell you anything: I can't add links yet, but it's called mattressadvice.co.uk

hazelgirl

May 5, 2011
I came across this forum when I googled Multifurnish as I had lost there telephone number and wanted to order another mattress for my teenage daughter. After reading your concerns about Multifurnish I would like to say that I am extremely happy with there products, prices and service. Agreed they dont have a big web presence and I think they could definately benefit from it. I went to one of there sales at a Holiday Inn and spent a lot of time choosing the mattress that I liked. The advice I received was very comprehensive and helpful. I personally am more than happy with my dealings with Multifurnish and have recommended them to friends and family who are equally as happy with there products and service.

Adelaide Corrigan

May 10, 2011
On Sunday 8th May my husband and I saw an advert for a luxury mattress sale at our local Holiday Inn in Farnborough, Hants. Sales guy who claimed to be the Managing Director (name of Mike Watkins) said they were a nationwide company. We thought it odd that an MD was doing the selling. We asked about the origin of manufacture of the beds and he told us they were all made in the UK except one that came from Malaysia. When we asked where in the UK he gave the reply "lots of manufacturers make for us - so all over the country." This seemed very suspicious indeed as we had never heard of Multifurnish despite having done a great deal of research on finding the right mattresses for our houses. All mattresses had the "Multifurnish" label sewn on but no labelling to indicate what was inside. All mattresses had a guarantee of between 2 and 10 years.:rolleyes:

We got home and checked them out on the Internet. Look at Google Street View and you will see three large windowless garages in a poor area of South Wales. The address is "The Old Aberbeeg Ambulance Station, Aberbeeg, Abertillary, NP13 2EQ." Try knocking on a garage door if anything goes wrong!

We wouldn't touch them with a bargepole and can only say "Caveat Emptor."

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
On Sunday 8th May my husband and I saw an advert for a luxury mattress sale at our local Holiday Inn in Farnborough, Hants. Sales guy who claimed to be the Managing Director (name of Mike Watkins) said they were a nationwide company. We thought it odd that an MD was doing the selling. We asked about the origin of manufacture of the beds and he told us they were all made in the UK except one that came from Malaysia. When we asked where in the UK he gave the reply "lots of manufacturers make for us - so all over the country." This seemed very suspicious indeed as we had never heard of Multifurnish despite having done a great deal of research on finding the right mattresses for our houses. All mattresses had the "Multifurnish" label sewn on but no labelling to indicate what was inside. All mattresses had a guarantee of between 2 and 10 years.:rolleyes:

We got home and checked them out on the Internet. Look at Google Street View and you will see three large windowless garages in a poor area of South Wales. The address is "The Old Aberbeeg Ambulance Station, Aberbeeg, Abertillary, NP13 2EQ." Try knocking on a garage door if anything goes wrong!

We wouldn't touch them with a bargepole and can only say "Caveat Emptor."
It sound like they buy in cheap imports, have their own label sewn on, and sell them as their own. Then hype up the prices to make them look like a bargin. This is quite a common practice.

If any of them were made in the UK, then the MD would be able to tell you exactly who made them.

corky400

May 19, 2011
I also attended a luxury mattress sale at the weekend in Basingstoke on the 16th April and was met by 2 guys who told me that they where the directors of the company, I was at first a bit suspicious and just listened to what they had to say. By the end of his sales pitch I was actually very impressed about his knowledge of the product he was selling, they even showed me how the mattress I was interested in was made from scratch as they actually had the raw materials on show.

Although impressed I was not sure, so I took the model details and went home to do some research. I found that the same quality mattress and size which was super king by the way was £900 more expensive anywhere on the net. Everything they told us did in fact tie up, they are in fact a commercial based company from South Wales, we googled them and found this forum, then looked at their site and it confirmed exactly what we were told at the Holiday Inn, that these mattresses where actually overstocks from commercial project that they had done throughout the year.

I returned with my husband on the Sunday to show him. I would like to say my husband is no expert but is normally a very good judge of bad quality and especially If there is anything suspicious going on.

My husband looked very closely at the mattress and as I said is no expert but found the craftsmanship very good! We also lay on the mattress we liked for 15 minutes which was good! There where far more good reasons to buy from Multifunish than not, and we also liked the fact that we didn’t pay a penny at the sale and only had to pay when it was delivered and we were happy the mattress is what we ordered. We are average earners and needed a super king mattress so saving of £800 or £900 is important to us but still went away without buying.

We spent Sunday afternoon going around some of the local bed superstores which again confirmed that we could save ourselves a good deal of money, so we went back to place the order at the Holiday Inn with Mike later that afternoon.

As promised transport called us on Tuesday to arrange the Thursday delivery, and the two very helpful drivers helped us move the huge mattress upstairs so the £15 delivery charge was well worth it. Its been nearly 3 weeks since we took delivery and I have never enjoyed a better nights sleep!

I am currently talking with Owen at their shop about some other furniture, they have a large store in Cardiff and I think the Old Ambulance Station is their warehousing space.

Within the time that we have had the mattress we have had a call from their after sales to see if all was ok with the mattress! I would like to confirm along with Hazelgirl that I am extremely happy with the deal and mattress from Multifurnish and would recommend them.

Adelaide Corrigan

May 10, 2011
Multifurnish do NOT have a store in Cardiff - large or otherwise. The internet show they have a rather shabby looking store in a road in Barry where much of the property is largely boarded up. Why you would buy furniture from South Wales when you live in Basingstoke I cannot fathom! Basingstoke has some of the best shops for furniture and some of the keenest prices. As for saving £900 on an ordinary pocket sprung superking mattress I am staggered. :confused:

When we went to the Multifurnish sale in Farnborough we asked whether the mattresses were bankrupt or surplus stock and were told they were definitely not. How odd that Multifurnish appear to have different stories. How you came by the model details I do not know as they were all, quite simply, labelled "Multifurnish". From my experience it would be absolutely impossible to compare Multifurnish mattresses with any other.

As for two managing directors flogging mattresses in the backrooms of hotels hundred of miles from where they're based, then we can only, once more, say "Caveat Emptor."

I also attended a luxury mattress sale at the weekend in Basingstoke on the 16th April and was met by 2 guys who told me that they where the directors of the company, I was at first a bit suspicious and just listened to what they had to say. By the end of his sales pitch I was actually very impressed about his knowledge of the product he was selling, they even showed me how the mattress I was interested in was made from scratch as they actually had the raw materials on show.

Although impressed I was not sure, so I took the model details and went home to do some research. I found that the same quality mattress and size which was super king by the way was £900 more expensive anywhere on the net. Everything they told us did in fact tie up, they are in fact a commercial based company from South Wales, we googled them and found this forum, then looked at their site and it confirmed exactly what we were told at the Holiday Inn, that these mattresses where actually overstocks from commercial project that they had done throughout the year.

I returned with my husband on the Sunday to show him. I would like to say my husband is no expert but is normally a very good judge of bad quality and especially If there is anything suspicious going on.

My husband looked very closely at the mattress and as I said is no expert but found the craftsmanship very good! We also lay on the mattress we liked for 15 minutes which was good! There where far more good reasons to buy from Multifunish than not, and we also liked the fact that we didn’t pay a penny at the sale and only had to pay when it was delivered and we were happy the mattress is what we ordered. We are average earners and needed a super king mattress so saving of £800 or £900 is important to us but still went away without buying.

We spent Sunday afternoon going around some of the local bed superstores which again confirmed that we could save ourselves a good deal of money, so we went back to place the order at the Holiday Inn with Mike later that afternoon.

As promised transport called us on Tuesday to arrange the Thursday delivery, and the two very helpful drivers helped us move the huge mattress upstairs so the £15 delivery charge was well worth it. Its been nearly 3 weeks since we took delivery and I have never enjoyed a better nights sleep!

I am currently talking with Owen at their shop about some other furniture, they have a large store in Cardiff and I think the Old Ambulance Station is their warehousing space.

Within the time that we have had the mattress we have had a call from their after sales to see if all was ok with the mattress! I would like to confirm along with Hazelgirl that I am extremely happy with the deal and mattress from Multifurnish and would recommend them.

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk

So how long have you worked for Multi Furnish??

To start with there is no way that you could have done exact comparrisons either on the net, on in a store. So there is no way that you could say that they are £900 cheaper than the equivalent on the net. As for most high street stores, they are extremely over priced anyway.

As for it being an overs tock. Well it would have to be a massive over stock for them to travel all round the country doing these sales. This could happen with a massive company, but not with a virtually unheard of company (even in the furniture industry).

It is a very common sales tactic to advertise good as having massive reductions when they aren't reduced at all. They are in fact very expensive. Dreams use this tactic all the time. When the seller puts their own label on the item, then it is virtually impossible for the consumer to be any the wiser.

So please laeve the sales pitch for the people who attend you mattress sales events.

dollyd

Nov 9, 2011
I have just been notified GROUPON are selling a reduced voucher for these mattresses, I am not sure if they would get involved in anything that was not above board.

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
I have just been notified GROUPON are selling a reduced voucher for these mattresses, I am not sure if they would get involved in anything that was not above board.
Groupon don't check to make sure that it isn't a scam. In fact sites like Groupon are ideal for this sort of rip off, as they will make people believe they are getting a great deal, when in fact they are just getting a cheap quality mattress.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I just have to add, that even with consumer advice sites as good as this one, things are not always what they seem.

When you get a post praising a product or company, check out the member - 'Newbies' with 1 post are unlikely to have just 'come across' the subject and decided to join the forum, we should all be aware that companies keep an eye on us for a reason!!!

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
I just have to add, that even with consumer advice sites as good as this one, things are not always what they seem.

When you get a post praising a product or company, check out the member - 'Newbies' with 1 post are unlikely to have just 'come across' the subject and decided to join the forum, we should all be aware that companies keep an eye on us for a reason!!!
Yes I think they have made a couple of attempts to clear their name on this thread.

No doubt the next attempt will be from someone who has posted on a few other threads first (after they have read your post)...lol

Adelaide Corrigan

May 10, 2011
In May 2011 I purchased a superking-sized mattress from Mattress on Line. The company telephoned me to arrange a convenient delivery date, and the delivery company telephoned me to tell me when they would be arriving. Two really helpful delivery men carried the mattress to the bedroom and unpacked it for me (unlike Tesco who had one surly delivery driver and insisted I help!). The mattress was a Rest Assured Tara 2000 pocket-sprung which sounds hideously expensive and wasn't! It was £389! It is truly the very best mattress I have ever bought (the Tesco one was far more expensive!). I like a firm mattress and my husband likes a softish one - and this suits us both perfectly. I would not hesitate to use Mattress Online :Dagain.

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
In May 2011 I purchased a superking-sized mattress from Mattress on Line. The company telephoned me to arrange a convenient delivery date, and the delivery company telephoned me to tell me when they would be arriving. Two really helpful delivery men carried the mattress to the bedroom and unpacked it for me (unlike Tesco who had one surly delivery driver and insisted I help!). The mattress was a Rest Assured Tara 2000 pocket-sprung which sounds hideously expensive and wasn't! It was £389! It is truly the very best mattress I have ever bought (the Tesco one was far more expensive!). I like a firm mattress and my husband likes a softish one - and this suits us both perfectly. I would not hesitate to use Mattress Online :Dagain.
I actually thought that you were someone who worked for mattress on line, and were just advertising, until I read your other posts. It's good to see a positive review for them, as I have seen a few negative in the past. So hopefully they are learning.

However, for anyone else who is buying a mattress, I would strongly advise against most of the big brands, if you want good quality at a low price. Unfortunately over the years many of the big brands have lowered their quality in order to cut production costs. And in many cases reliability has suffered. Just take a look on moneysavingexpert.com and search Silentnight (who are the same company as Rest Assured, Sealy, Layezee, The Pocket Sprung Bed Company, and Sterns & Foster) on their forum, and you will see what I mean.

Most importantly when buying a mattress, make sure that you buy from a retailer who gives a proper 100% satisfaction guarantee, that allows you to unpack and sleep on the mattress. And buying on line will be far cheaper.

reannelondon

Dec 20, 2011
I purchased a groupon voucher for a King sized bed from Multi furnish and I must say I was extremly happy with the bed we recieved and the communication from the multi furnish team - they even gave us a very accurate delivery time.

The bed is excellent quality and extreamly cheep for £250, it would be hard to bet that price which included delivery.

After I had paid for the voucher on groupon I did read the reviews posted and was a bit concerned, but I am pleased to say that I recivied an excellent bed and the service from multi furnish was fantastic. I would definatly recommend them and buy more products from them. :)

And please dont think because I have given them a good review that I am working for multi furnish, as that is not the case, reviews can be used to give postive feed back about companies!!!

Tim Deegan

Apr 14, 2011
www.mattressadvice.co.uk
I purchased a groupon voucher for a King sized bed from Multi furnish and I must say I was extremly happy with the bed we recieved and the communication from the multi furnish team - they even gave us a very accurate delivery time.

The bed is excellent quality and extreamly cheep for £250, it would be hard to bet that price which included delivery.

After I had paid for the voucher on groupon I did read the reviews posted and was a bit concerned, but I am pleased to say that I recivied an excellent bed and the service from multi furnish was fantastic. I would definatly recommend them and buy more products from them. :)

And please dont think because I have given them a good review that I am working for multi furnish, as that is not the case, reviews can be used to give postive feed back about companies!!!
Yet another one!!!!... They really don't give up do they.

The fact is that they are cheap quality mattresses, and at £250 they aren't cheap at all. In fact they may even be expensive. So no matter how often they join forums under different names to try and promote the company, as well as their products. The whole ethos of the company is designed to mislead people into thinking that they are getting something that they aren't. In other words a con, and something consumers should avoid at all costs.