Who pays for cost of re-installing faulty goods?

lanzo

Apr 13, 2011
I purchased a hardwood external door from Selco. After about 6 months a 9 inch split occured. Selco have said that they will replace the door but the cost of rehanging a new door has to be born by me, as the manufactuers warranty says that the cost of re-installing materials will not be covered under warranty. Additionally Selco have said that the manufactuer will argue about how the wood was prepared etc. I know I can't go directly to the manufacturer.

Should i be paying for re hanging the door or should Selco?

Many thanks,

Matt

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi,
You need to check T&C's for Selco with regards to this, if there is no mention of who pays, then it is down to Selco to pay, it is no regard about what the manufacturer says about this, your contract is with Selco, and it sounds like Selco needs reminding of this.
If however in T&C's it states that you pay, then sorry, but you do.

If there is a likely delay in receiving the fitting, then get it fitted yourself at a reasonable cost and then claim this back from Selco , but i must stress that you must get an average costed re-hanging, as you cannot get an over-the-top price and expect Selco to pay.

peterf

Sep 20, 2011
I think it also depends on whether you are buying a product or a service. We bought carpets which turned out to be faulty, and because we had bought a service or end result, i.e. fitted carpets, it was the shop/manufacturers responsibility to pay for their replacement fitting costs.