Comet and the Hotpoint Ultima saga

Cedwards

Apr 30, 2011
Hi Guys,
We bought a Hotpoint Ultima washing machine in November last year and it broke down around 6 weeks ago when the internal drum paddles broke ( also showed F18 fault code then a whole host of other F codes?), rang the repairs line and they had to send out an engineer which was around 4 days after the problem occurred, the engineer arrived and fitted new paddles. The next day the machine was on a cycle and we went out, we returned 2 hours later to a flooded laminate kitchen floor which had just been laid and is now absolutely trashed, the door mechanism was buzzing continuously and the door was partially open with water coming out from the bottom of the door and the air was tinged with a burning smell, I switched it off at the wall unsure of what had happened and again rang the repair line, this time the engineer fitted a electrical circuit board in the back of the machine and as he was leaving the machine turned itself on when it was off so the engineer stated it needed a new front panel which has taken 2 further weeks due to no part being in stock he arrived and fitted the panel today at 9:45am and within the first wash cycle the machine broke yet again displaying error F18 and we cant get it to work. I called Comet repairs line again this time requesting that they take this machine back and let us choose another as I am having so much trouble with this one, they have refused as they will have to send another engineer out which means more time without the machine which we paid around £450.00 for, there is obviously a serious fault with this particular machine so I requested then demanded they sort this out today, which they have refused, I was extremely angry by now and demanded to speak to a manager, a gent called me and gave me their same scripted answer with regard to an engineer, he also told me the only person who can authorise a replacement/refund is the engineer (I do not want this machine in my house anymore!!) which is verbal garbage. Then he tells me he is not actually the manager which is who I DID want to speak to. What am I going to do? Go to the local newspaper or something and complain bitterly about my extremely shabby treatment? I personally feel Comet could have done a lot better for what we have had happen to us.
Carol