How often do you use local shops?

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
...for local people? ;) I went out to buy some flowers today, and saw a nice bunch in my local Tesco Metro for about £7. I popped across the road to the florist, a nice lady who was freezing cold in her wee shop, and was able to get two bunches for £4. It reminded me again that I should make more of an effort to use my local shops - sometimes it is just easier to chuck everything in a supermarket basked, but it's not always cheaper to do so.

How often do others use their local shops as opposed to supermarkets, and do you find it cheaper?

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
We have a great local independent fairtrade grocer and I do try and make an effort to buy some things from there not just the supermarket as I agree with their fairtrade stance and also they have some delicious breads, cakes and chocolate. I don't think their products are cheaper, if anything slightly more expensive but it is difficult to compare as it is not like with like.

There is also a great local hardware shop, where you can buy everything from mops to individual fuses. Wilkinsons have recently opened though virtually next door so I have a feeling this must be impacting them.

We also have a local bookshop who are great as he can order in any book next day - so can work out quicker and cheaper than amazon sometimes. But the shop is so small I rarely see anything I want on the shelves.

saneuser

Dec 15, 2008
Our local shop (in a village in Kent) is now thriving under new management. They get fresh bread in from the next village each day, they now have fresh veg (which people actually buy) and they have a really good range of food. The shop goes from strength to strength as people try to save on fuel bills by shopping locally.

lilnelly198

Jan 3, 2009
I find the quality of the produce in local shops like butchers and greengrocers much better. It is easier to get stuff from Asda or wherever but I find the quality of fruit and veg a bit suspect.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
We honestly have no local shops anymore!!! we have a village full of takeaways, restaurants, estate agents and travel agents, I now shop at markets where I can buy fish, meat and fruit/veg much cheaper and fresher than the supermarkets.

We have 4 Tesco's within 3/4 mile of our house and only desperation will make me visit them, I can even buy my petrol cheaper at the local Shell garage.