sold a motorbike now purchaser wants a refund

damien6660

May 7, 2011
Hi
Im sorry in advance for the length of this message! however i wonder if someone can explain my position in terms of being a seller in this case?
I advertised a second hand motorcycle on ebay, In the description i highlighted the fact that it was second hand, that i was a private seller not a trader. I described that the bike was in good condition for a machine 14 years of age with some marks and detailed several known faults.
The vehicle had passed an mot and was safe and roadworthy.
the purchaser contacted me outside of the auction to come and view the bike, inspected and tried it and made a lower offer which i accpeted.
This is where it starts to go wrong!
I advised the buyer that it needed petrol as the warning light was flashing and the buyer road off on the bike which had been running with no problems. several days later i recieved a phone call stating he had run the bike out of petrol and that after refilling it would not start.
i gave advice and a few days later i was contacted demanding a refund as there were faults with the bike and he was unhappy. ( the faults were those in the description)
The buyer disclosed he had made numerous unorthodox attempts to start the bike by way of boosting it off a running car with jump leads, towing it and using other batteries not in accordance with the manf specs.
he also stated that he and others had effected mechanical work on the bike to get it to start up.
a day later i had a text message stating that the bike was again running but he wanted a refund oir some money off as he was unhappy.
what is my legal standing as i believe that due to his interferance he has damaged the bike and expects me to stand the financial loss off either a refund or the repairs to put right what he and others may have done?
i have advised him to get the bike independantly assessed forward a copy of the report and refused to refund any money at this time unless ruled to do so by way of civil proceedings.
please help?