Repairs after Warranty Has Expired

Penn

May 8, 2011
Hi there, I'm hoping someone may have an answer for me. First of all I will try and explain my situation as simply as possible. Basically, I purchased a new Mercedes sprinter van back in 2007. At the end of 2009 I had to get the Mercedes garage out to fit a new starter motor. Within a few months the vehicle was showing signs that the starter motor was malfunctioning again. I obviously contacted the garage again and they took my vehicle in but could not find any problems with it, although they themselves have experienced the car not starting on a couple of occasions. Anyway, they gave me the vehicle back but intermittently, the problem still happened. And then a week ago it completely packed up again. I contacted the garage and they told me that the warranty was out of date on the starter motor because it had been fitted within the three year warranty of the van. So I have had the second starter motor fitted at a cost of £500. What I'd like to know is if I have any consumer rights because I reported this fault before the warranty was up and the garage and able to find it, but it was obvious it was still there.