When is it fair to expect a refund for a faulty used car from a reputable dealer?

signum505

May 8, 2011
We bought a Nissan Qashquai 2007 reg with 18k miles on it at the end of December 2010. I thought that this should be a reliable car as it was sold by WLMG Nissan and had low mileage for a 4yr old car (approx 4500 miles per year). Didn't take extended warranty and their standard warranty is 3mths.

Our first problem was engine mgmt light which came on after 5 days.
Took it back to Nissan and they hooked it up to computer to reset the light. They said it was an O2 sensor.

Some days later, it came on again. We took it back in the new year and they fixed it, not sure what they did as they weren't very descriptive in their resolution. They gave us a Micra as courtesy for the couple of days they had it. It was the O2 sensor again which they said they replaced this time.

After a couple more weeks engine mgmt light came on again. Drove it back there and they kept it again, another Micra offered and taken as courtesy car. 2 days later we got the car back valeted with full tank of petrol.

After a few more days, the light came on a 4th time and this time they sent someone to collect the car, bringing another Micra as courtesy car.
They had it for a few more days and returned it, citing a wire to the O2 sensor was being stretched so they replaced it with a longer wire. That was the last time the O2 sensor flipped out.

In March we noticed that the heater was blowing warmer out of the passenger side than the driver side. They reluctantly took the car again and replaced filters, free of charge. They put petrol in again and replaced a worn tyre as well (it must have been v low when they first sold it to us).
In replacing only one tyre, they caused the tracking to go out and now the car hangs to the the right slightly. This is now telling on THAT tyre which is almost bald on the outside.
During this time they also pulled the door apart to find out what was rattling inside the drivers door. They removed something but didn't say what it was; the rattle was gone anyway so i was happy.

3 weeks ago when the weather picked up, i drove for the first time with the driver window down. Nice day, tunes pumping, lots to look at... life was good.
Except that the window was rattling like a cold rattlesnake while wound down. Seems like the 'bit' they took out of the door in March was some kind of retainer for the window. Good work Nissan for not bothering to replace it with a working one.

6 days ago I noticed when starting the car that it was stuck in PARK (it's an automatic). I power cycled it twice and then it came out of PARK and into DRIVE ok. For the rest of that day it seemed fine, but the next day it got stuck again and i couldnt get it out of PARK. I called them and they guided me to a small override next to the gear lever which i now have to put a key (any key) into to get it out of PARK. I can't drive the car away at all now without jamming something in there. I have found that I can also use a screw, a lolly stick or a hair pin. All work ok at overriding the PARK lock.

Nissan inspected the car on Thursday and concluded that the GEAR SELECTOR has failed and needs replacing. Cost = £700+.
They have generously offered a discount of 10% as goodwill gesture.

The warranty ran out on 19th March.
I feel suckered by Nissan. The car they sold me is obviously a complete turkey and i want shot of it.
Do I have a good case for a refund?
Or at the very least the GEAR SELECTOR to be replaced for free based on our unpleasant history?
All comments appreciated.
Thanks - Dan