Apple IPhone 4 DEAD

Horbs

May 12, 2011
Hi, I am desperately after some help/advice. I bought my brand new sim free Apple IPhone 4 from an Apple store in the UK Christmas December 2010. At the end of April this year my IPhone started to get hot. Now I also bought my wife the IPhone 4 at the same time/place and my wifes phone does not get hot like mine. Within a few days of experiencing this, one evening it was so hot it could not be handled and I was concerned it was dangerous. I went to try and turn it off when a yellow warning sign came on the screen warning me about the temperature and telling me to switch off the phone, it then flashed up different languages. Turned the phone off and left it until later that evening. Tried to switch it back on and it was dead. Put the charger on and the phone was unresponsive. It's dead! Went onto the Apple website and clicked on the support for IPhone and service and support. Had to put a description of what was happening with the phone and my serial Number. They sent me a box to send my phone to them, which I did. They acknowledge receipt of my phone by email on Tuesday. I then had to monitor the website for details of the service/repair. Well when I checked up on the service/repair I nearly cried (yes, I am a grown man) when I saw the below:
Step 1 - Request

Product received by service center (10-May-2011)
Step 2 - Service

Accidental damage or abuse found (11-May-2011)
Step 3 - Return

Original product shipped (11-May-2011)
Shipped via UPS

They were sending my original phone back as dead as the day it went to them. There reason (above) was accidental damage or abuse. Now I was livid with this as I treated my phone like a new baby. It was immaculate, not even a scratch on it. Under no circumstances as it been damaged or abused. I am bemused by this and feel completely let down by the company. They sent me another email (below):
AppleCare

Dear David, * Repair ID:
A45256475

Thank you for choosing AppleCare Service.

Your IPHONE 4 has been inspected by Apple technicians, who have determined that the cost of repairing it exceeds the cost of replacing it with a new product. As such, Apple is unable to service your product as you had requested and is returning it to you unrepaired. You should expect to receive it within two business days along with a letter that gives details of this assessment.

I honestly do not know what to do and I am upset. I am in shock that I paid £599 for a phone that 4 months down the line stopped working and they don't want to know. I am now awaiting my dead phone to come back.

Any and I mean any advise would be greatly appreciated. Is there light at the end of this tunnnel?

Thanks
Horbs

Graeme

May 17, 2011
I would imagine that as a mechanical defect, after 5-6 months of ownership they would have the right to offer a repair or a replacement.

Apple themselves have said that they "determined that the cost of repairing it exceeds the cost of replacing it with a new product" so therefore they should replace your handest as they themselves deem this the most economical way of resolving your issue?

I would return to the Apple Store, with a copy of the email and give them the opportunity to take some ownership to help you out. If they dont, I'd see Citizens Advice and get some help.

Good luck.