nightmare 24 hrs after buying used car..help me

amypeth

May 15, 2011
Traded in my zafira yesterday for a fiesta tdci zetec. Looked at it in length whilst at garage, drove it etc. Paid for it, did paper work, got dad to hpi car even though garage did it to. Drove home 26 miles all fine. Got in this eve to drive 4 miles to work, hubby said bumper looked fine, re-start car. The bumper had been slighlty pushed back to hide a crack few cm long but the whole bumper feels loose and looks wobbly when car is started. 2ndly the bonnet took 5 minutes to shut although i saw him do it at garage! then driving 60mph the speedo inicator went slack and dropped to 0, was only after slowing down for speed bumps its started to register again. What are my rights, can i go back and demand refund and old car back? :mad:

ExSalesman

May 10, 2011
www.carbuyingguide.org.uk
Legally, I suspect not... you mostly buy stuff "as seen" and if you discover any minor faults later - it's just part of buying something "used". The garage might argue that you looked over the car and satisfied yourself that it was fit for your purpose etc.

HOWEVER, buying a car from a garge does give you more rights than if you bought one from a private individual. The garage would surely try to help you sort out the minor problems that you have found.

If the bumper is loose and in danger of falling off, then the car is not roadworthy (ie. fit for purpose) and they should fix this for you. The speedo? You could argue that this is a dangerous fault and that they should fix it too. I don't know about the bonnet. Sounds like the bonnet catch is stiff/sticking and shouldn't take much to fix.

The first thing you have to do is go back to the garage and respectfully point out the problems you have found, explain that you are not happy and ask them to fix them. See what they say. Then you will know how forcibly you have to argue your points.

Good luck
:)