Sony VAIO Warranty & Support Ripoff

ajw23

May 18, 2011
Hi I am new to the forum; my Sony VAIO laptop started having issues; its within its years warranty so I called their support line and had it booked in to be looked at. Service was v good, it was returned in 2 days - however they had decided to replace the hard disk. So I got it back with a new disk and all my data gone! I called the support line to say I would have expected them to let me know they were taking such a vital part; and also to ask them to send me the old disk (which still worked but they decided was faulty). The support line was v supportive, said no problem, they would see if the repair centre had the part and call me personally.

I got a call on Monday from a v embarassed repair operative; he had my disk but SONY were quoting £253 for me to get the old disk back!!! I've since been emailing with their European Services Team and so far they insist it was explained to me that any repaired parts become their property and the old disk will cost me £253! Is this not a contravention of my rights? I owned the part when I bought the laptop, if they decide that part is failing isn't my fault; how can they assume ownership of my part? And this is purely profiteering - £253 for a broken hard disk is ridiculous?

Keen to hear if anyone else has had similar issues with SONY and any views on what my rights and next steps could be? I have a backup of critical info but now missing a lot of documents, backup of my website, itunes etc etc

Thanks in advance...Andrew

Graeme

May 17, 2011
I'm sure someone out there will know a little more than me on the legal side of things, but having dealt with Sony previously I believe that in conducting the repair they state in their repair terms and conditions that they assume no liability for loss of data etc. Also as they deemed a replacement hard disk necessary for your repair (and as such returning your appliance to a working state) I dont believe you have any legal claim to the old drive, hence Sony charging you. I think that £253 is a tad steep though...

The manufacturer, by replacing a part inside an appliance can (I understand) choose to either dispose of it or assume ownership of it for WEEE Recycling purposes (although HDD have to be data cleansed first).

Probably not what you want to hear but something I deal with day in and day out at work. Reading your post reminds me why I pay £50 a year for 150GB online storage. Damn manufacturers replace or format hard drives with the majority of repairs these days it seems.

Good luck :)

ajw23

May 18, 2011
Thanks Graeme - they claim to have reeled off their T's and C's and exactly the point they get to assume ownership of your broken parts! It doesn't seem reasonable though to be charging £253 for what is a usable but ultimately flawed part - in essence they caused the inconvienence by providing a defective HDD! I'm getting a bit of traction via complaining - I'm even happy to pay a reasonable fee; the frustrating thing is the Repair Centre confirmed they have the disk; in their workshop about 20 miles away and could post to me for price of a stamp!

Meanwhile pursuing an online backup solution - any recommendations?

Andrew

Graeme

May 17, 2011
Thanks Graeme - they claim to have reeled off their T's and C's and exactly the point they get to assume ownership of your broken parts! It doesn't seem reasonable though to be charging £253 for what is a usable but ultimately flawed part - in essence they caused the inconvienence by providing a defective HDD! I'm getting a bit of traction via complaining - I'm even happy to pay a reasonable fee; the frustrating thing is the Repair Centre confirmed they have the disk; in their workshop about 20 miles away and could post to me for price of a stamp!

Meanwhile pursuing an online backup solution - any recommendations?

Andrew
Glad to hear that it sounds like you're getting somewhere. Hell, if the repair centre is only 20 miles away, commission an Arnold Schwartzenegger Carrier Pigeon!!

Online storage I have just changed to was purchased from Currys. Think it's called Store and Share. They did a £30 one but only gives you 50GB - designed for storing essentials I think. Store & Share is 150GB for £50 which lets me upload from 3 PCs and access them on pretty much anything, Ipad, blackberry etc. Had it a week or so and am really happy, it has some neat functions.