Kids Debt can end up on your credit score!!

SPIKEY

May 19, 2011
this might be in the wrong place so ask a MOD to move it if need be.

this is what happened to me,

i run a small business and had moved house, so i applied for an Account with a local bank, as my existing bank did not have a branch nearby, i was shocked when i was refused as bad credit record????

stunned, and also highly embarrassed, as far as i knew i had a 5 star credit rating and always very careful, i knew did not owe anyone money and have never defaulted on anything. the thought crossed my mind my wife might have run up secret debts - can you imagine just the suspicion at the damage that would do in weaker relationships?

to get the reason for this damming information, i had to register and pay a fee to get a copy of my credit record.

i discovered the credit agency had in their wisdom, attached my Sons bad credit problems to my good name and my address, blotting my credit worthiness, all totally unknown to me. this was simply because he had moved in with us, this could have been catastrophic to my business.

my Son had got into financial difficulties, after his relationship broke down, as perants naturally he moved back in with us while he got himself sorted out, not a rare story today.

to get my record 'cleaned' and restore my rating, i had to write a letter stating i was not legally responsible for paying his debts, to mention at the time he was in his 30's way and above 18, and so the legal age of responsibility, i had not acted as his guarantor in any transactions.

as an aside, after he moved out he got parking tickets which he did not pay for what ever reason (clot!), i ended up with bailiffs calling at my home, on one occasion they clamped my van on my drive early one morning. i showed them the log book and the finance agreement to show that it was not his van.

they refused to release the clamp until i allowed them to look around my home to see if he was not hiding in it. this was also giving them 'right to enter' at any future time even if I'm not there, i had no choice as i had to get to work.

to avoid this situation in the future, the bailiff offered the advice not to let my son live with us - what planet is he living on? are we to not offer a roof over our children's heads?

SPIKEY

andersonsophie_89

Apr 26, 2014
Yes that is worrying.

What would happen when HMRC and NHS sells our details. Would our rating go down because we are too old/ previous illness / had mental breakdown / got disabled parents or family members whi we might need to look after.

Scary

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
You can opt out of anyone sharing (selling) your personal data under the Data Protection Act. I have already opted out of the NHS data sharing scheme, quite simple process, over the phone, 5 minutes.

The credit references agencies lump everyone under the same addfess unless they disassociate themselves and you can't do it if fhere is any joint debt.

andersonsophie_89

Apr 26, 2014
I like the idea of the NHS data sharing scheme, where my data at the GP is shared within the NHS. I just dont want my data to be online for hackers to get into and I dont want my data sold to corporations. Am I missing the part where I can choose who my GP can share my data with?