Problem with Peugeot 207

nicola71

May 19, 2011
I bought a 2006 Peugeot 207 in November 2009. It came with an extended warranty that expired November 2010. There is now a major and rare fault with the car - a sensor is faulty and water has got in an corrroded the ECU unit. Peugeot garage say this is a rare fault and they have only ever seen once before and def shouldnt be in a car thats only 5yrs old and 24500 miles on it. Bill to fix is £1400. Garage contacted Peugeot as they felt the sensor was faulty at manufacture. Peugeot say as the car is 2 years out of its manufacuring warranty (which is 3 yrs) they wont accept the fault as they garage suggest. They have offered a measly 15% as a 'goodwill gesture' and whilst I've tried to appeal this they have stood their ground.

What rights have I got as this bill is more money than I earn in a month! I also have been driving a faulty car with my kids in it! The fault (DPS fault) means the car just 'shut down' on me whilst driving.

Have to say Peugeot are totally umsympathetic esp given I've been a loyal customer for 10 yrs!

Any advice?? please!!!!

cooper1488

Oct 13, 2011
Hi,

I have the same problem, water has managed to get into my ECU and has corroded the pins along with the wiring system.

Have you managed to get anywhere with this other than pay for the full repair yourself??

nicola71

May 19, 2011
Hi, I stuck my ground and Peugeot paid £1000 of the repair, the garage paid some too and I had to pay just a couple of hundred. Touching lots of wood (!) the car has been running great since. Wont buy another Peugeot though.

nicola71

May 19, 2011
To be honest a lot of the negotiating was done by the garage dealer with Peugeot main office. He said in his long experience he knew this type of fault shouldnt happen and that it must have been at manufacturer stage. I was prepared to get an assessment done by RAC as well. I tried to stay calm about the whole thing although at one point in my angry state I told him that I would dump the car outside their dealership. Not very mature I know but like you I was just so frustrated.

Peugeot then came back and said that the car was out of warranty and I hadnt had it subsequently serviced at a Peugeot dealer (I took it to local garage as it was cheaper!). It doesnt state anyway in any papers that the car has to be serviced at Peugeot once its out of warranty. To give him his dues he really worked hard for me with Peugeot main office and in the end I was happy to settle with the outcome. They never actually admitted it was a manufacturer's fault but that they would pay their part towards it as a 'goodwill gesture'. To be honest I didnt care how they labelled it, I just needed my car fixed and the less I had to pay the better.

When the incident happened I researched it and found it was quite a common fault on the 207 and that repairs are usually in the region of £1400.

What type of response have you had from your garage?

cooper1488

Oct 13, 2011
Not been to the Garage with it as yet, was my friend who is a mechanic that looked over the car for me and found the fault!

I've had a look online but most of the information I find is about the 307cc or other makes of cars and nothing on the 207 but your post here! do you happen to have any the links you found on this?

Thanks
David

nicola71

May 19, 2011
Hi David, I cant remember the links I checked on but my issue came to light as I got the dreaded 'depollution system fault' on my display which i did look up and whilst it transpires that this can be caused by a number of issues, it does usually end up with problems with the ECU. I remember reading others describing this fault and suggestions made to change plugs etc and to be honest this was suggested to me too by the garage but most folk seem to find that its this bigger problem that lies behind it. Also I work with a guy and his 407 had the very same issue.

There are some discussions that I did find previously at peugeotcentral.co.uk you might find that site useful if you haven't already tried it (sorry it wont let me put the full link in as I haven't enough messages on this site!!).

Nicola

Gary Dodds

Jul 4, 2016
Hi I'm new to this forum but I'm having the exact same problem with my Peugeot 207 sport model, I had the "sensor" replaced only a month ago due to corrosion and low and behold the same thing happened today water had gotten into the ecu, my garage sent someone out who sorted the problem for me within 15 minutes and I was on my way again, he advised me to keep a can of compressed air so if it happens again I can use the air to blast the water out! In the meantime I've been told to try silicone sealer around the wires to try and stop the water running down them into the ecu, is this a good idea as I don't want to make the problem worse!