Santander complaint!!!

stevo76

May 30, 2011
Hi

I obtained a loan from Santander on 27 Nov 2010, when I purchased a diamond ring from Ernest Jones on Interest free credit. I signed a direct debit form and understood 9 payments would be taken from my Bank account each month.

I have today been contacted by Santanders call centre and the sum of £372.65 was requested because no payments had been made on the finance agreement. I explained the above and was told the Direct Debit had been cancelled and letters had been sent to my address each month requesting payment. The caller could not confirm who had cancelled the Direct Debit. I stressed to the caller that I had not received any letters from them and if I had then I would have made contact to explain I was paying by Direct Debit.

I have now looked into my Bank account online and discovered the Direct Debit was cancelled by "the originator" on 17 Dec 2010. I believe this will mean Santander cancelled it.

It appears that Santander cancelled the Direct Debit, did not inform me of this and for some reason then let my account go into arrears.

I have complained to Santander and they blame a "computer error" as for why the direct debit was cancelled, but they are still demanding the arrears!!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated