Warning about Made.com

YM+YM

Jun 8, 2011
We just wanted to warn people if you ever decide to buy from the online furniture company made.com which seem to be a fast growing company recently being featured in a number of fashionable magazines etc.

Basically, WE NEVER RECEIVED THE FURNTURE.

The main reason for this was because the deliver company they use (called HDNL) were extremely unprofessional and incompetent.

The delivery company messed up their delivery three times and never apologised and the furniture never arrived.
When we reported this to made.com, they confirmed that they have had similar complaints from other customers but did not seem to take the matter seriously.
We requested a full refund as we wasted our precious holidays on a delivery that never arrived. Although made.com confirmed they will refund the full amount straight away, we actually had to remind a few times until we finally received it after 5 weeks.

We are concerned that there will be more people attracted to made.com by their "glossy image" but it is a company WITHOUT acceptable service and delivery methods for customers.:mad:

Our search for nice furniture carries on.

Made.com Support

Jun 9, 2011
Hi There!

We are so sorry you have had a poor experience with HDNL and we would like to get in touch with you to see what we can to help! Please email us your details and we can assure you we will get in touch as soon as possible...

We at Made.com pride ourselves on the quality of our products and service but it looks like the delivery company has let you down but we would love to fix things!

Kind regards
The Made.com team

jimboblondon

Nov 26, 2011
Yes my experience with this company is B A D.

I waited about 4 months and was told the sofas had arrived in the UK. I booked the delivery day but on the day I heard nothing even though I had been told I would be phoned 48 hours in advance to give me a slot.

We got in contact with the delivery company who said goods had arrived to them damaged. We contacted Made.com BY EMAIL BECAUSE THEY DON'T GIVE YOU A TELEPHONE NUMBER and they emailed us as follows:

Thank you for your email and for bringing this to our attention.
I have just spoken with hdnl and they have informed us that "the above customer's goods received into our depot was the wrong one. Please can the right goods be reordered so we deliver to the customer appropriately", i find this very hard to believe and have asked hdnl to provide some further clarifications as to exactly what has happened. The reference number for the delivery is: 8APAM0013422A, I will provide you with an update as soon as hdnl get back to me.
If you have any further information that would help to explain what has happened please do feel free to let me know as this may help me to investigate this with the couriers.

A slight inconsistency with what we had been told previously. And how unprofessional of made.com to criticise the delivery company and then to ask ME to provide THEM with information about their own delivery company!

The short story is that I was told that the goods would not be coming. No apology, nothing. Only an offer to redeliver them in 4 months time. UNBELIEVABLE.

What makes it worse is that at no point was there an apology, a sorry, NOTHING.

But the most appalling aspect of their service is that they don't provide a telephone number and nobody telephoned me.

The fact is that I still don't know what happened with the delivery and why my goods never arrived.

These guys are unprofessional, they are just about the PR but can't back it up with proper customer service.

Please share this with anyone considering an order with made.com.

Oh and to cap it off yesterday I received an automated email from made.com asking for feedback. I mean REALLY? Amateurs.

yozzer

Dec 16, 2011
I'm having the same issues with this company and would warn anybody from buying from them. The emails I have received have always been polite, and promise a solution. However, what they promise never happens.

I have now taken a number of days off work to wait for a courier to collect the faulty item and to no avail the item is still here.

There is no telephone number to speak with them and don't have the courtesy to call me. If this carries on, and they don't collect the item & process a refund I will be taking them to Civil Court.

Shop with them at your own peril

loch_raven

Dec 17, 2011
I too have had a similar problem with made.

Yesterday I received a sofa bed and coffee table from made.com, we were contacted by them by phone to arrange the delivery time and we confirmed it for the Friday morning and specifically arranged for the delivery driver to phone an hour before delivery so my partner could come home from work to sign for it. Of course I get a phone call from the driver at midday saying he is outside our flat and has had no instructions to phone in advance.

The delivery had to be signed for by our new neighbors who we hadn't even met yet. (who weren't particulary happy about storing a table and sofa-bed in their flat for the day)

When we opened the packaging the coffee table we ordered had a chip on the surface, rust damage on one of the legs and had two screws that wouldn't fit. Basically a faulty product.

We have a £1000 leather sofa coming from made in February and not getting our hopes up for it.

After having told everyone we know about made we won't be recommending them again.

beware of made, don't trust the glossy image.

timuk

Jan 9, 2012
I ordered two items from Made.com The first was a chair and a side board. I waited 18 weeks and then finally received an email stating the chair arrived in the country and someone shall be contacting me within 5 days for delivery. 12 days went but and I finally heard after writing an email to Made.com They dont offer a number so you must write them and wait 48 hrs for them to reply. I recieved a phone call from the delivery company from some lady who i could hardly understand! We arranged a delivery time between 7-9:30am on the 21st Dec. As I was leaving early that morning I arranged for a friend to come to my flat and wait for the furntire from 06:30am. My fiorend stayed till 6pm that day and no delivery no call from the delivery! And of course you cant call Made.com as they dont have a number. After writing to Made.com I received a replied 5 days later stating the same response as Jimbolondon. Goods were damaged in warehouse and I could receive a total refund.

I never received any repsonse or acknowledgement from Made.com despite writing 4 times since asking what happened to my goods! They give you some crapy excuse that they dont have a telephone number because they find they must research the email enquiries before responding. In the end you waste your time and energy writing this company only to never get a reply or a full answer.

I am now waiting for my side board. 20 weeks after ordering!!! Again I received an email that my side board has reached the country and shall receive a call for my delivery date. I dont have much hope it will ever arrive!

Still waiting for my refund on the chair!

Bottom line...slick attractive website, plenty of PR but look behind the glossy bits and you have a highly unprofessioanl company, poor customer service (none actually) and a horrible delivery company.

I normally do not write such reviews but I feel REALLY RIPPED OFF and steaming mad!!! I feel like I have been lied to!

I will go glady but the furniture on the high street and pay more but know I will get what I paid for with the customer service and professioanlism to support my pruchase!!!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
I'd just like to point out here that any online business which supplies goods or services within the UK, whether manufactured in the UK or imported, MUST under the E-Commerce Regulations , provide a telephone number AND one of the following: a postal address, an email address, a fax number.

I've not taken a look at this website, but shall do if you would like to, informing them of the law, and if they still fail to provide a telephone number on their website, I shall contact their local TS office who can then enforce the law properly.
We are all enforcers in some form when the law is known.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Well, I actually decided to write to them regardless, here's what I said:

To whom it may concern,
I am writing this form to you as a student member of the Trading Standards Institute.
I have read many complaints regarding your company, and wish to inform you of the law, which many consumers are complaining about.
Under the E-Commerce Regulations, any online business supplying goods or services within the UK, must by law provide a contact telephone number AND one of the following: a fax number, a postal address, an email address.

After looking at your website I can find none of these. A contact form is not suffice by law.
I am in no way investigating your business, however I must inform you that you are committing an offence under these regulations.
I will check back on your website in 10 days (19th January) to see if there are contact details available.
If you fail to provide contact details I will have no choice but to contact your local Trading Standards Service who shall ensure that you provide these details.
Many thanks for your understanding.
Adam

lindaex

Jan 11, 2012
Total frustration with this company.
I ordered a pro football table in September for Christmas. Ample time for delivery you might think ?.
My first point of contact was in October with an email from Made.com asking how they did and was I prepared to write a review about the product I had received ???? Needless to say, the product hadn't been delivered.
I sent 2 emails highlighting this and a week later received a reply saying that the product had been damaged, but a new shipment was expected.
As I had formerly dealt with made.com on 2 separate occasions no alarm bells rang.
December I sent an email asking for an expected time of delivery was assured by email would receive by Christmas. I emailed in late December - No reply, No delivery !
Email between Christmas and New Year no response !!! New Year no football table.
Yoodle (their preferred) delivery company call to confirm delivery on the 3rd January.
3rd January -No delivery
When I contacted the company (Yoddle) I was told that they had tried to deliver but no one was home and they had left a card.
At this point I should point out that we are a hotel open 365 days a year 24 hours a day ??????????
I sent a further 7 emails to made.com complaining about the service or rather the lack of it. Nothing.
Finally on the 6th January received a call from someone from 'made' saying they were looking into it and would ring me back later that afternoon- That was the last I heard from them.
Further couple of emails -no response. Still no Football Table.

I have checked online resources, tried to find a telephone number from Companies House, HOWEVER nothing is registered there.

I am of the opinion this is a company riding on good PR.with no regards to customer service.
My next tack will definitely be, to contact the companies which recommend the site such as the Telegraph to ensure that they know the operating procedures under which Made.com operate.

For my part they have turned a previously happy customer into a rather disgruntled adversary !!!!!!

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
I've had no response to my email I sent, however they were given 10 days...
Just done some digging, and have found this: address, phone number, and names !

Administrative Contact:
Company: MADE.COM DESIGN LTD
Name: Li Ning
Address: 45 Nottinghill Gate
City: London
Postal Code: W113LQ
Phone: +44 845 3888 985
Fax:
Email:

Technical Contact:
Company: MADE.COM DESIGN LTD
Name: Skipper Andy
Address: 45 Nottinghill Gate
City: London
Postal Code: W113LQ
Phone: +44 845 3888 985

So there's a phone number- found this via a domain register lookup of made.com :)
Hope this helps

lindaex

Jan 11, 2012
Thank you for the number, however the set up doesn't allow you to dial them back and automatically disconnects.
You have to wonder why a company would take such measures to enable customers NOT to get hold of them.
I had a similar number captured on my mobile phone which wouldn't take incoming calls.
But thanks for trying.:confused:

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
So 5 days since my notice to them, an address is now present on the site. But no number, and so I sent another message .

Hello,
I write to you further regarding the last message I sent you, with regards to your 19th January deadline to obide by the E-Commerce Regulations.
I see that you have correctly displayed your address, however, by law you still MUST provide a contactable telephone number (unlike +44 845 3888 985), which is readily available on your site.
Failure to do so by the 19th January will result in your offence being relayed to your local Trading Standards department.
I write this to whom I believe to be the persons within management of Made.com - Li, Ning / Skipper, Andy

Thanks for your understanding

Let's see if a phone number becomes available.

siddhuw

Jan 23, 2012
I have had a similar experience with Made.com's delivery partners, HDNL.

The imbecile who was supposed to deliver the sofa never rang my doorbell and instead tried calling me on my mobile. By the time I saw the call, he'd buggered off and wouldn't come back. What sort of idiot doesn't think of ringing the doorbell?

It's been a week since that happened, and I have been unable to get in touch with HDNL (or Yodel or whatever it is they call themselves these days). Made.com conveniently provide one with no phone number to call.

'Nuff said. Don't think I will be ordering anything from Made.com ever again.

rsatterley

Jan 28, 2012
I've long been intrigued by this company, so it was useful to read these comments. Consumer rights groups always advocate that you only deal with companies that provide proper contact details, including an address and contact phone number. I emailed them to ask about a phone number, and they essentially said they didn't have that capability yet, but were planning on having one in the future. It's very easy to get a phone number in the UK so I don't understand why they're struggling with this. I've decided not to buy anything from them until they do have a contact phone number.

As regards to the regulations for electronic commerce, I couldn't find any reference to the requirement to provide a phone number, however. Just google to see the pdf of the Statutory Instrument (which this regulation is).

Reactions: Orla Smyth

turtmcfly

Feb 2, 2012
No phone number is bad enough. Combine it with the fact that they don't respond to emails (four now and counting) and you have a recipe for extreme agitation! Add that to to the fact that you will need to contact them, because they offload delivery to a bunch of cowboys who a) only contact your 30 minutes prior to delivery (literally) and b) will no doubt damage the goods as they did with ours, resulting in another 7 weeks and counting wait. Plus you might get (as I did for the re-sent item last week) two emails four days apart both telling you the item had 'just arrived' and the delivery company would be 'in touch soon'. One week and counting on the latter front. Mind you, they're probably 31 minutes away...

In short - don't be tempted by the prices, good as they are. As I said on my last email to them, what a shame they can't do the easy bit.

adcrossie

Feb 22, 2012
Further warning MADE.COM

Shocking customer service!

We ordered 2 sofas from made.com and the sofas arrived in the country on the 3/2/2012.

The delivery company used only deliver 09:00-15:00 monday to friday so even if things went to plan you would probably have to take a day off work to recieve your furniture.

After re-arranging the delivery of our sofas we were called 24hrs prior to the proposed delivery to confirm the delivery was going ahead. My girlfriend took an afternoon off work especially to recieve the delivery. We were then called again to say that the order stopped.

After calling the delivery company we where told that the order had been cancelled!! we had not cancelled the order and the items are to be returned abroad to the supplier. We have been told that made.com are the only ones who can reverse the cancellation.

We have been trying to contact made.com but they have no phone number! and communication between made.com and the delivery company does not seem to exist!!

the whole consumer experience has been shocking from start to finish.

I would AVOID made.com. Get your furniture somewhere else it is not worth the effort. We have wasted time off work and many hours trying to make contact with delivery company and made.com. And delivery also cost 80.00 quid!! really not happy and would not use again!!!

papereyes

Feb 28, 2012
This company is shocking

Ordered my lamp in September, this lamp comes in 3 parts.

In a nutshell, ordered my lamp in September, delivered in December and only got two out of the 3 parts. Spent two months trying to get a replacement and today the new replacement arrived and guess what, the same 2 fricking parts where delivered (which means i have two bases and two bowls but missing two stands). If you want a laugh around there shocking customer service see below:

26 Dec "Your order is due for delivery today" - Was delivered two out of 3 parts"

28 Dec Clare "I am so sorry that this has not arrived with you yet. I will chase this up with our delivery partners and launch an investigations with them

06 Jan Ryan " I will be happy to have the part sent out, to save you waiting any longer."

13 Jan ryan - "I can confirm that this request was sent to our warehouse on the 5th January, so this is likely to be with you by next week."

19 Jan Paul - "I can confirm that your spare parts are due to be sent at the very latest by next Tuesday."

27 Jan ryan - "I can confirm that this will be sent out to our delivery partners today, so I will be able to provide you with a tracking number in due course."

8 Feb Greta "I have looked into this for you, and at present the Warehouse Team are still waiting for the spare part to be delivered to them, and I really am very sorry for this.

I have now created an entirely new order for you"

28 Feb - New order arrived - still missing my stand :mad: