Any advice welcome..

Al M

Jun 11, 2011
I have recently put down a £100 deposit on a used car. The dealer gave me a trade in value, having looked at my car. There is a warning light on the dash, saying 'Anti Lock Brake Service Required'. He saw this, asked me what is was and I said I assume it has something to do with the brake fluid needing changed, however I am not sure.

We agreed the deal, I left a deposit and job done. A day or 2 later, he called and said he has made some enquiries about the warning light on the dashboard. It turns out that it is part of a recall on the car, and I will have to pay about £75 - £100 to get it fixed. I said, well this will take sometime could I have my deposit back and I will come back to you when the car is sorted. He said no, the deposit is non-returnable. To my mind, he is the one who saw the light and made the deal despite it being there. He is the one who wants me to pay to get the car fixed. So, as he is refusing to accept the trade in he should give me my deposit back. Am I being unreasonable.

Jul 25, 2011
Hi,

I would refuse to pay the amount for two reasons.

Firstly the problem with the car is now his responsiblity, since he accepted your deposit to close the deal (if he says he never closed the deal, then ask him why you can't have your depost back?).

Secondly (if you did agree to pay it which I strongly disagree) - how do you know it's costing as much as he says etc?

Personally I think the chap is a con artist and you need to state your consumer rights to him - as eitherway you are in a lose-lose situation if you shutup and don't say anything. You either part with the £75-£100 to repair the car as he demands, or lose your £100 deposit.

I'd recommend getting your £100 deposit back as I wouldn't want to do business with a company like this. A respectable company would either acknowledge the anti-lock error is now their responsbility since they accepted it with the warning light on. Or they would make an exception and return your deposit.

Eitherway be interested to hear how you get on.

Hope this helps somehow.

Thanks

Sam