WEDDING RINGS – Must Be Perfect.

clifford

Sep 19, 2008
If you purchase a great engagement ring and then determine that you don't have suitable wedding rings to enhance the look of the engagement ring. If you want to select wedding rings that can only be worn with the engagement ring, your choice is somewhat easier, because you can select a contour ring or wrap which will fit most of the profiles available in today's jewelry market.

However, if you really want to have wedding rings that can be worn alone, you will have some other issues to deal with, the first of which is that you are unlikely to have an exact fit between the wedding rings and the engagement ring. Often a solitaire engagement ring will have an area located on the side of the ring where the ring and the head join that is wider than the rest of the engagement ring band. This may prevent the wedding rings from fitting snugly against the engagement rings. A traditional straight band on your wedding rings can easily be worn along, but there may not be a snug fit because the band of the wedding rings will strike against the setting of the engagement ring, leaving spacing between the two bands on both sides of the setting.

If you are determined to have wedding rings which can be worn separately from the engagement ring, be sure to select a wedding band that is low profile. This allows the top of the wedding rings to fit just below the head of the setting on the engagement ring so that spacing between the two rings is minimized. A good example of the type of wedding rings which works well in this situation is a channel band. :)

Little-Egret

Aug 24, 2011
Hi, Can you advise or suggest help for the following:
In July last year, ( 7 months prior to our wedding) we approached a jewellery maker in Saffron Waldon, Essex. We asked that he make our wedding rings, using my Grandmother's wedding ring 9ct gold which would create the center band, with 2 bands of white gold on the outside. At the time of sizing, we were not convinced the sizes he suggested were going to be right, but we took his advice as he was the 'expert'. Total costs for my ring £256, £400 for my husband's.

Given that our wedding was in February this year, we had had one fitting in the November and the sizes were too big and they looked very poor quality, with visible scratches etc. They were sent back and it wasn't until 2 weeks before our wedding that the rings were returned. They had been polished but my husbands ring seemed to be still too big. There was no time to change it.

On our Honeymoon in June this year, my husband's ring fell apart at the joins, and mine showed signs of black where the joins were. They looked considerably dull and lacklustre for something which was custom made and supposed to be of high quality.
Since returning to the jeweller's he tried to claim that sweat and bodily vapours may have 'reacted' with the metals. Then on closer inspection he suggested the solder used was incorrect. It turned out that Palladium was used and NOT white gold as we had asked for ( reason being my engagement ring is white gold and it would be worn next to it). I noticed that the 'white' metal part of the ring had not been hall marked. Whether white gold or palladium, this should have been done separately to the yellow gold.

I have asked that this all be rectified as soon as possible. However, they have had the rings since 8th July and we have had 1 email after the return saying they are being looked at but no further updates for the last month.

My husband and I are greatly upset as we do not have our wedding rings. They have cost my family a great deal to buy for us and the sentimental value is very high and I am concerned my grandmother's wedding ring is going to be ruined further. I do not know what to do next.

Little-Egret

Aug 24, 2011
Since my August post, we have had our rings returned. My husband's ring is less than the original request for 8mm band depth. Although they claim to have now been made with white gold, his finger is showing a reaction which I have read may be due to nickel content. The jeweler has responded with 'you are never satisfied and I have accommodated all your needs to the best of my craftmanship..' A NEW PROBLEM!!