Mobility reclining chair

alleycat8

Jun 18, 2011
My elderly mother wanted a reclining chair to ease her back problems. We invited a representative from a Mobility furniture Company to visit her at home to discuss her requirements. A demonstration model chair was brought for my mother to try. That chair felt extremely comfortable and cosy and my mother thought it ideal. The Company (supposedly) measure the customer so that the chair is made to measure. The chair and "free" small settee were subsequently delivered. This cost over £5,000! The chair also has massage and heat settings. However, right from day one, my mother found the chair extremely uncomfortable, and she has had to stuff various cushions, rolled up towels etc. around the chair just to try to get a little more comfortable. Her back condition appears to have worsened. We made complaints, and then wrote a long letter setting out the problems. An Engineer called this week, took measurements, and various photos of my mother sitting in the chair. The foam that it is made from is extremely dense and far too firm for my mother, who is only 6 stone, and therefore the likelihood of her "weight" softening the foam is highly unlikely. The measurements of the chair are completely out, and do not match up to the measurements that the original rep took.

My mother has become very distressed about all of this, and she would like to return the chair and sofa and get the whole of her money back. However, would she be within her rights to ask for this? The Engineer explained that to put right the measurements etc., a completely new chair would have to be made - the existing one cannot simply be repaired. In these circumstances, would my mother be stuck with accepting a new chair made to her measurements, if that is what they offer? Can she insist on a full refund, as in her opinion, with the faulty measurements, the chair is not fit for purpose? Its a shame that these mobility companies seem to just be greedy and prey on the elderly and vulnerable, and charge the earth for items. Any help would be appreciated.

Lakeskip

Jan 31, 2013
Hi Alley Cat

We are also experiencing problems with this company with a chair that was purchased by my mother in law - jolly expensive and not particularly good quality, they are avoiding my calls and generally being evasive, I think they were a double glazing set up before retraining for extortion of elderly ladies.

How did you get on in the end with your situation

Thanks
Lakeskip

alleycat8

Jun 18, 2011

Very sorry to hear that you are having problems with your mother in law's reclining chair from the same Company. I looked up consumer rights on the internet, and then wrote to the Managing Director of the Company in fairly strong terms, telling them that the chair was not fit for purpose (important phrase), and then set out clearly in separate paragraphs, the full reasons why, i.e. that the seat was not made to measure, as was advertised, that it had a fault in the leather on the arm, that the Company had been told and could see my mother's frail and very light build and that the seat cushion was far too hard for her etc. I therefore stated that as the chair was not fit for purpose, she wanted her money back in full and that they could collect the chair and 'free' sofa within 14 days. They were on the telephone before I knew it! A different rep came out and basically tried to lay the blame with the original rep who had done the measuring! However, the original guy DID have the correct measurements, but the chair sent to my mother was, I think, for someone else's sizes! They said that they wanted to try to rectify the situation by making a completely new chair, and would put much softer foam for the seat as well as making it made to measure this time. I let them know that I would be demanding the return of the money if the second chair was still not fit for purpose. They made a new chair, which was about half the size of the original, and it did indeed have softer foam in the seat. Another point I would make is that each time I did ring them, I made a note of the time/date and also the name of the person that I spoke to, and a precis of each conversation. I hope this may help, but I would suggest that you do look on the internet for Consumer Acts, to get the correct phrases to use i.e. the fit for purpose one etc., quote them, and state the Act under which you are demanding rectification of matters or you want your money back. Good luck, and don't give up!

Lakeskip

Jan 31, 2013
Dear Alleycat

Just to say thanks so much for taking the time to reply, it helped a lot. Our situation sounds almost identical to the one you described.

I took your advice and, in short, the company ended up sending out the same rep who agreed to make a new chair with a very different spec. which is fair. Although I still think my Mother in Law has paid rather a high price for what appears to be a pretty standard product (it's a chair, with a motor in it...) when it comes back in a couple of weeks, if she is happy, then I'm happy.

Best Regards
Lake skip

Gary Jackson

Jan 26, 2017
Re: Mobility reclining chair The Mobility Furniture Company

My 87 year old mother is another sad victim of the mobility furniture company. Having been sold a bed for £ 2950 that should cost under £ 500 she has been told she cannot cancel the order when she cancelled within the 14 day period. Their whole business concept is based upon conning vulnerable older people and not refunding, by referring to invalid bespoke clauses on the order form. The salesman told my mother that she could cancel the order if she wished with 14 days. He also pressured her into buying the bed by saying that if she paid in full she could get delivery quicker than six weeks. This has been whiteness by the lady with her. This has to stop and I intend to launch a wide campaign. They have already have had quite a media coverage, please see links below, but there are more effective ways of putting an end to this. Exploiting vulnerable people often sick and in pain. People deserve more respect.
I would like to know the directors Peter Jonathon Kitson formally director of the mobility rental group a as featured on rouge traders and other director James Mitton private addresses and telephone numbers.
I would also like to know its staff and sales person’s private addresses and telephone numbers to.
Perhaps you are an ex-employee that would to see them exposed for who they are? All information will be very welcome to start this campaign.
For an informative list of actions being taken including persons who wish to become involved in the campaign or wish to be updated of its progress, please email
mobilityfurniturecompanyripoff this is at gmail.com
They will not allow links or email details with less than ten posts?
Check out yell.com The Mobility Furniture Company for campain details.
Best Wishes
Gary Jackson

Last edited: