Are cinemas value for money?

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I went to see Quantum of Solace tonight (it's all right, lots of shooting and banging and confusing plot). We got half an hour of ads before the film. Several of them were Bond-themed, and included excerpts from the film I was about to watch, which I found irritating. We also got two adverts for the concept of cinema generally and one for the specific cinema we were sitting in. This seemed odd: what's the point in trying to sell something to people who have already bought it?

Anyway, it started me wondering, do you think the cinema provides value for money? I like seeing films on the big screen, but the thing that puts me off is the ludicrous duration of ads and trailers. Is it worth the entry fee, or are we being ripped off?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I am going to see Quantum of Solace the weekend after next. I think cinemas are good value I tend to ask when the film starts to avoid the trailers. The thing that really annoys me is the cost of the drinks and snacks, especially the pick n'mix. If I am organised enough I will bring some drinks and snacks for the kids, but I have noticed that some cinemas forbid this. Not sure if they would do anything about it in reality.

Tony

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
The problem I have is that I feel I'm being rude if I arrive during the adverts, because by then the cinema is usually full and I have to disturb people in order to find a seat. But I can't blame people for doing this when the alternative is to be advertised at for half an hour.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
If you can go to the cinema during the day (not half term). Often it is cheaper and you also tend to get pensioners and single people there to actually watch the film (not there on a night out) so less snacks and all that rustling of sweet papers that's so annoying.