problems with phones4u

iccarus1969

Jun 23, 2011
Hi i have a problem that i could use some advice on.
6 days ago i got a samsung galaxy sii on 24 month contract with orange from phones 4 u along with their insurance.

The problem i have is today i placed the phone on my dashboard when driving and the screen popped due to sunlight hitting it. I have the phones 4 u insurance but i have been quoted a repair time of 1 month plus i will have to pay an excess of £50 therefore leaving me out of pocket by over £96 (£46 monthly tarriff). they do not offer me a new phone or a replacement one. they offer to sell me a pay and go phone for £30 so i can keep my minutes.

The problem is 1 the time scale of getting the thing repaired. (if i had gone directly to orange i would have a replacement the next day with only a £15 excess charge).but i am tied with the insurance from phones 4 u i cant change the insurance to orange

2. The phone screen should not crack under sunlight (it wasnt particularly hot today).and if it did would it be a manufactureres fault due to a substandard screen.

3. Can i get out of the contract, even with a defective phone, as the repair time i feel is unreasonable but the contract is only 6 days old. apparentley i am tied to phones4u mobile phone insurance. and there is no cooling off period.if i cancel now i will have to pay £717

Orange state that the contract is down to phones4u and they cannot help

any advice would be greatfully received

thanks paul mumford

rolemodel

Mar 19, 2013
Phones 4 U always seemed a little dodgy to me. I popped in store today and couldn't get a proper answer at all regarding *new* O2 contracts with a handset. They just kept diverting me onto other providers. I ended up having a Google to find the real reason why they don't provide them!