What are classed as 'reasonable' admin fees - cancel within 14 day cooling off period

Curious

Jun 24, 2011
When a buildings insurance policy is cancelled within the 14 cooling off period, I understand that the insurer has the right to charge a 'reasonable' administration fee. However, could you advise if they are allowed to charge an admin fee for inception of the policy, plus an admin fee for cancellation of the policy?

Thanks in advance.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Re: What are classed as 'reasonable' admin fees - cancel within 14 day cooling off pe

If you have agreed to this in their t&c's by purchasing the insurance then yes, ofcourse they can, afterall, you agreed to it..

You need to check small print :)

RRR

Sep 7, 2011
Re: What are classed as 'reasonable' admin fees - cancel within 14 day cooling off pe

If you have agreed to this in their t&c's by purchasing the insurance then yes, ofcourse they can, afterall, you agreed to it..

You need to check small print :)
ALewis, I'm affraid that I don't know what is regarded as a reasonable admin fee in this context. If you call Consumer Direct (number at the top of this page) then you might be able to get some help. You can also contact them through their website.

As regards the assertion that if you agreed to something in a contract that it's enforceable this simply isn't (necessarily) true. There are a range of situations (potentially including this one) where signing something doesn't make it enforceable. Call Consumer Direct and see what they say.