have court owner against firm, and they won't pay. Next step?

buglet

Jul 1, 2011
Hello everyone...I'm new to the forums

I have a court order against a firm for £277 (February 2011) for a faulty mattress. As they didn't pay, I spent £100 to get the bailiffs to collect, to be told by the courts that the firm was not trading at that address. So, I'm out £377.

However, I subsequently called the firm (who has a new 0800 number...they never answered their phone previously) and was given this same address, as well as another address for their warehouse. A Companies House check verifies that their main address is still valid, although the company has also incorporated under a new and slightly different name, listing the warehouse as their place of trade.

So, what is the best way to go about getting my money? I can send a bailiff to the warehouse, but if that doesn't work, I'm then out £477 total. Any ideas?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi there,
there are a few things you can ask the court to conduct in order to get your money owed to you..

• an attachment of earnings order (deductions from wages)
  • a third party debt order (usually used to freeze money in bank or building society accounts)
  • a charging order (a charge on land or property owned by a debtor)

number 1 may not be applicable, i am unsure as all you have given is 'a firm' ... though you could always ask..
2 - self explanatory
3 - the courts will make the firm give you your value, in land or buildings, assets etc unless they pay up... usually meaning they pay up, otherwise they lose that value of assets..

You can fill out forms direct on the direct.gov website to request these... here's a link (just scroll down a little) How county court judgments are enforced : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits